Vauxhall Zafira B 1.9CDTI (2010) - Starnge Oil Levels - Jasta

Not sure if anyone can help on here but strange problem regarding my oil levels. I have always checked my oil cold but during the last couple of weeks I have noticed the Oil level is way up on my dipstick (8.5cm). If I check the oil when hot it is just on the max mark of the dipstick. I was concerned it may be the DPF problem dumping diesel back in so I have spoken to a local garage who I know well. They suggested draining the oil and re-filling to the correct level (which they did free of charge I might add so no incentive for them to mis-advise me). They said the old oil looked good (only 6 mths old - and no sign of diesel in it) and I should monitor the levels for a short while before we establish if it is leaking seals etc.

The following day I checked my oil cold and it was 8.5cm up the dipstick again!!! Having browsed a few sites I notice a few comments stating I should only be checking the level when hot and 5 minutes or more after turning the engine off because the oil can get sucked back up the dipstick tube when cold. Can anyone advise if this is common with Zaffis and is this advice actually true? Isthis a potential problem for future as I have 6 months left on my warranty and don't want to leave it until it's too late.

Thanks in advance

Vauxhall Zafira B 1.9CDTI (2010) - Starnge Oil Levels - gordonbennet

I think for a couple of days i would remove the dipstick overnight, wipe it clean and stick it on some card on the drivers seat (so you can't accidentally jump in and clear off with it removed), then insert the stick gently fully and remove in one movement the next morning, that should give you a cold figure and eliminate this odd thing of the oil climbing the stick...which i can't quite get me head around.

What does the handbook say about checking oil level?

The handbook says to check oil levels while the engine is at operating temperature and engine has been off for at least five minutes. Apart from the excess taking a while to drain down I can't understand why the level should be much different to when cold.
Vauxhall Zafira B 1.9CDTI (2010) - Starnge Oil Levels - Cyd

You aren't just pulling the dipstick out and taking a reading are you?

You should wipe the stick and dip and pull back out in one movement.

No. I am wiping the stick and reinserting but every time when I read it cold it is 8.5 cm up the dipstick and when I read it as per the manual (operating temp with 5 minutes to settle) it is just below max where I would expect it.
Even after having an oil change to just below max it read 8.5 cm when cold the following morning.