vauxhall astra 1993 2.8l fi - ignition starting issues - guerdon

Recently I found a hole in my gearbox. To repair the hold, the mechanic pulled the engine. During that exercise he broke the drive train but that was replaced (this is mainly to show the lack of care he took). When the hole was welded and the engine replaced, the electrician rewired the car. Once that was done, the car would not start although everything was working before the mechanic started working. I had the electrician recheck and test everything and all electronics are working. Since the original mechanic refused to do anymore work on the car, I had another mechanic check it. He says that the lower crankshaft is weak. He suggests that I change from fuel injection to carburation. I fail to understand why the car is not working since it was prior to repairing the gearbox leak. Please advise me as to what happened and what I should do about it.

vauxhall astra 1993 2.8l fi - ignition starting issues - skidpan

No such thing as a 2.8l Astra.

Your second mechanic talks nonsense, what on earth is a "lower crankshaft"? An engine only has one. If its weak the engine is scrap.

Change to carbs and the car will never pass an MOT since a carb cannot control the emissions to the correct leverl required. That is whay all cars after about 1991 were fuel injected.

Basically the car is 21 years old and virtually worthless. How much are you prepared to spend on it.

Edited by skidpan on 02/09/2014 at 14:15

vauxhall astra 1993 2.8l fi - ignition starting issues - guerdon

As you said the car is not worth much so I am unwilling to spend a lot. I just want it to work for a short time until I purchase a new vehicle. Is there anything I can do to get it to work. As I said in my original message, everything was working when the mechanic got it (except of course for the gearbox issue). Everything should be working now but is not. Thus, I think the mechanic did something to break it.