any - Cat D Cars and insurance - iamafreeman

Just wondering how insurance companies generally view Cat D repaired cars and if they load premiums accordingly.

Having seen a Peugeot 208 cat D repair car for sale at a good price I began to think if buying one is a good a deal as it might seem.

Anyone any experience of buying/owning one and if so did you have problems with getting a reasonable insurance quote?

any - Cat D Cars and insurance - double_tap_that

I do know that most traders do try and avoid cat c/d cars, so when it comes to selling the car you will get less than a non cat car, plus more likely have to sell it yourself.

any - Cat D Cars and insurance - Galaxy

And if the car is ever written off then the insurance company will pay you out much less than they otherwise would because they will know it's a Cat D.

any - Cat D Cars and insurance - Ordovices

I rescued a Cat D in 2009.

My intention was to run it to death in a relatively short space of time, which I duly did. This was the pivot of the decision for me as I wasn't intending to keep the car long enough that any botched body work repairs would lead to long term corrosion problems ie, the engine would die before any rust killed the car, and I had no expectation of resale, just scrap value. Worked a treat and when transmission problems started I just got shot.

any - Cat D Cars and insurance - martint123

I got a 10 year old MX5 cat D and ran it for another 10 years with no problems other than the routine servicing. Got rid via scrappage in the end, but it would have continued.

Bought 3000, got 2000 scrappage 10 years later.

Insurance companies didn't care.

any - Cat D Cars and insurance - retgwte

mate of mine bought a written off car, it had been written off as all the doors were damaged, not a single other thing wrong with it. he managed to source replacement doors from scrap dealers. all together a significant saving over buying a perfect car, although obviously he had the hassle of tracking the doors down and fitting them.