Renault Master 1998 2.8td - Diesel not starting - acj295

Hi guys.

After some help.

My master refuses to start!

Right, the battery is good. Its turning over freely and quickly. There is no horrible smoke. When the van is running its only normal black smoke under load. There is no evident power loss when running. The van used to start instantly until last winter and then it started taking longer. I thought this was due to the fact I was in the french alps for winter (very cold) and I didn't use it much. Since then it has got worse. It will only start with easy start now what ch is not good. Even after a 6 hr drive once I turn it off it refuses to go again and I have to resort to easy start. I have had to adjust the idle screw as it started cutting out when I put the clutch in at junctions as the revs would drop rigt down till it cuts out.

I have changed oil and all filters recently. I have checked the electrics to the pump. I have cracked the injector nuts while cranking and there is fuel going to all 4.

Am I right in assuming that this rules out the immobiliser and stop solenoid being a fault?

The van has done a whopping 243,000 miles but I was told it had a recon in it. I have owned it for 5yrs and have done less then 28,000 in that time. It gets a basic sevice every yr but thats it. As its a work van any repairs are done asap. (Not that there have been anything more major than some welding and suspension work)

Any help getting him starting will be gratefully received!

Arron. Stationary. In Cambridge!

Renault Master 1998 2.8td - Diesel not starting - Peter.N.

Hi Arron

I don't know this engine, is it an IDI or DI with an injection pump?

Peter

Its a DI with an injector pump.

Renault Master 1998 2.8td - Diesel not starting - Peter.N.

Did this happen suddenly or has it gradually got worse, had anything been done to the car just prior to the fault occuring?

Gradually got worse but nothing was done to the van.

Renault Master 1998 2.8td - Diesel not starting - Bolt

As a matter of interest have you checked fuel return pipe at pump for cracked/broken seal.

Renault Master 1998 2.8td - Diesel not starting - Railroad.
Go back to basics. A Diesel engine needs clean fresh air and good compression along with fuel to start. Is this a common rail engine? If so it'll be direct injection, and glow plugs will not be essential for cold starting. When cranking can you see smoke puffing from the exhaust? If you can then fuel is being injected, and the problem will be a lack of intake air or poor compression. If you can't then a fuel problem must be suspected. Either fuel draining back overnight or excessive leak off. You must NEVER crack an injector pipe on a common rail system. Apart from being potentially dangerous you will not be able to get a proper reseal, and new parts will be necessary.

If it has a more conventional injection pump then it's probably an indirect injection. In this case check the glow plugs, especially if smoke is puffing from the exhaust when cranking. Otherwise the most likely cause is air ingress between the fuel tank and injection pump. Check the fuel filter and housing for possible air leaks.