N/A - Best and safest way to sell a car for scrap? - H7000

Can anyone please advise me the best and safest way to sell a car for scrap?

I have seen lots of adverts in my local paper saying they will come round and pay between £500 and £1000 to take a car away for scrap but I am unsure who to choose and who I can trust to do this lawfully and still make some money.

I don't know who to contact.

Any advice much appreciated.

Thanks

N/A - Best and safest way to sell a car for scrap? - RT

If you're in the admittedly small group of people who have no passport (because they never go abroad) and no photocard licence (because they have an old paper licence until 70), you CANNOT scrap a car because of legislation introduced under the Scrap Metal Dealers Act.

The law is an ass !

N/A - Best and safest way to sell a car for scrap? - AlexT

in that case just sell it to someone with a passport and let him scrap it.

Edited by AlexT on 02/07/2014 at 19:43

N/A - Best and safest way to sell a car for scrap? - jc2

Some will buy it off you as a secondhand car for cash and then they scrap it.

N/A - Best and safest way to sell a car for scrap? - H7000

I do have a photocard licence....so apart from selling it to someone who is it best to contact if I wanted to scrap it....there seems to be so many in the local papers wanting cars for scrap but they all just appear to come with a mobile number and little else...all seems a bit too vague. Thanks

N/A - Best and safest way to sell a car for scrap? - jacks

I used CarTakeBack.com

They give online quotes from scappies in your area, you pick the one you want and (in my case) the truck turned up at agreed time - paid cash, issued receipt, and Cert of Destruction followed next day by email.

You get a list of offers and pick the one you want to use, companies are named and give a price for cars delivered to them by you or collected by them.

As a guide I got £160 (they collected- Astra - runner but MOT failure).

I've no connection with the site but it did work well - my main concern was disposing of the thing legally and the vehicle not ending up with undesirables using it for crime etc.

J