MINI One - Coolant Leak Issue - Helen64

I purchased a 57 plate 1.4 Mini One two weeks ago and yesterday, driving on the M5 the oil warning light came on and the car cut out immediately with a smell of burning from the engine. When the AA turned up, the man indicated that the coolant level had gone below the coolant sensor which made the engine overheat with a possibility of engine damage. The dealer said that he had serviced the car before I picked it up and that everything was alright. However, I want to understand where I stand and my legal rights under warranty? Can I insist on a new engine for the car?

MINI One - Coolant Leak Issue - bathtub tom

What does the handbook say about how often you should check the coolant level?

MINI One - Coolant Leak Issue - RobJP

Might I suggest that you wait and find out just how much actual damage has been caused before you start borrowing trouble ?

I've known engines to run with little coolant for considerable distances without any long-term ill effects. In terms of repair, I'd imagine you're pretty well covered. A car (whether new or used) should be 'fit for purpose', so any reputable garage will ensure that you are not left facing a bill for this.

In terms of regularly checking the coolant - well, you've only had the car a fortnight. If they put a condition on the warranty that you HAD to check it every week or 2 weeks, I'd imagine it would be thrown out as an unreasonable (and thus unfair and unenforceable) condition.

As to what you're going to be entitled to ... the simple answer is to be put back into the position that you were in beforehand. That MIGHT mean a new engine (if the old one is utterly goosed), but it might also just mean that it gets refilled with coolant and leak tested IF there are no other problems with the engine.

The critical thing, if they do that, is to make absolutely certain that you get down from the garage, on paper, what the problem was, what caused it, and the fix that was applied. That way, if it fails again (or if something serious goes wrong in a few months) you've got some ammunition as to previous faults, and the possibility of the new fault being aused by the old fault.