Driving Mini Buses - Ben 10

I have Cat D1 on my licence which entitles me to drive a mini bus. I do this at the moment, and it is a 15 seater. These are under "grandfathers" rights as I got my licence before the new regulations.

I am a bit confused. I just want to drive a 9 seat mini bus for hire and reward. According to what I've read, I need to undertake a PCV qualification along with CPC. Why? I have the experience of driving on my current licence without charging, but wanting to charge I seem to need a PCV/CPC.

It seems a lot of money and testing for the intended purpose. Can anyone on here clarify whether I need a PCV to do this?

I did speak to a plated taxi locally that was a 9 seater short wheelbase Renault Trafic. I asked him if he had a PCV. He said no, he was driving on a car licence. Which has caused the confusion.

Driving Mini Buses - Auristocrat

Complete the questions on the following webpage: www.gov.uk/vehicles-you-can-drive/y

You may need to take a D1 Minibus test

Edited by Auristocrat on 09/06/2014 at 23:44

Driving Mini Buses - Wackyracer

The DVLA are useless at getting things right.

I have category D+E and obviously hold lesser bus/minibus categories but, for some m****ic reason they have put a code 101 on my D1 class meaning I can't be paid for driving a minibus but, can be paid for driving a 53 seat coach with a trailer on the back.

Driving Mini Buses - Auristocrat

Government decides what driving licence categories there are - DVLA is there to administer the service. So if you have a complaint about the eligibility of any drivihg category, approach your elected representative.

Driving Mini Buses - Ben 10

Thanks for the link Auristocrat. I completed the questions. Looks like I just need a D1 test and medical. So I presume I don't need a PCV after all. I've requested the D2 pack so I'll find out when the paperwork comes.

Cheers Tony.