Any/Any - Disappearing tax (VED!) disc implications - SteveLee

Are the government going to pocket the value of a car being taxed twice every time a car is sold on? The remaining road fund licence is no longer going to be transferable with the sale of the vehicle - so if you sell your car, presumably you’ll get a refund for complete unused months, but the buyer will tax the vehicle covering the month of purchase?

As I understand it, if a car is taxed until the 31st of April and you sell it February 15th – you will be reimbursed March and April and will swallow the days “lost” in February; The buyer will have to tax it for the current month onwards (February) so the government will receive the VED income for February twice for the same car – how can this be fair? A sneaky stealth tax or is the system going to be cleverer than that? Perhaps the new system will no longer run in complete months but will go from date to date? Does anyone know how it’ll work from October?

Any/Any - Disappearing tax (VED!) disc implications - RobJP

Is this any different to how the system works now ? For the last decade any car that I or my wife have sold has not included the tax disc. This ensures that no trader can sell it on without customer details in full, and that the new keeper has to register it to get a tax disc.

Selling a car with a tax disc (especially to a private buyer) is leaving you wide open to grief

Edited by RobJP on 03/06/2014 at 16:17

Is this any different to how the system works now ? For the last decade any car that I or my wife have sold has not included the tax disc. This ensures that no trader can sell it on without customer details in full, and that the new keeper has to register it to get a tax disc.

Selling a car with a tax disc (especially to a private buyer) is leaving you wide open to grief

It's no different IF you generally cash the VED disc in. I never do - being taxed makes a car easier to sell privately - I always add the nominal value of the road tax to the figure I have in my head as to value anyway. As long as you have filled in your bit of the V5 and sent it off - what the buyer does with the car is up to him.

I've bought a car before where the previous seller had sent off for a duplicate disc and then cashed it in. Leaving my apparently taxed car untaxed. The DVLA and the police were sympathetic when I had the issue and I wasn't penalised for driving an untaxed car accidentally and that's the only grief I've ever had as a buyer or seller. I've never bought a car privately that wasn't taxed - although in the trade that's the norm of course.

Any/Any - Disappearing tax (VED!) disc implications - pd

You do not need to regsiter a car to get a tax disc. It is easy to get a tax disc with giving no details at all. If you sell a car to a trader you send off the yellow slip, otherwise you send off the whole thing.

As long as you have advised the DVLA you've sold it, it is no longer your responsibility.

Edited by pd on 04/06/2014 at 17:33

Any/Any - Disappearing tax (VED!) disc implications - HandCart

>>>"You do not need to regsiter a car to get a tax disc. It is easy to get a tax disc with giving no details at all."

Sorry, my brain's a bit slow today: Please can you elaborate on the above?

Any/Any - Disappearing tax (VED!) disc implications - Auristocrat

The changes are limited to the cessation of the transfer of VED from one owner to another, the deletion of the tax disc from 1st October 2014 and changes to the payment system from 1st November 2014.

No other changes. So VED will still run for either 6 or 12 months, and if a vehicles is taxed partway through a month, a portion of that months VED is still effectively lost.

The changes are limited to the cessation of the transfer of VED from one owner to another, the deletion of the tax disc from 1st October 2014 and changes to the payment system from 1st November 2014.

No other changes. So VED will still run for either 6 or 12 months, and if a vehicles is taxed partway through a month, a portion of that months VED is still effectively lost.

So I assume then the answer is yet - the seller and buyer will be paying for the same month twice - surely that's fraud on the government's behalf? Who else would get away with selling the same goods twice without being arrested?

We're not talking about vast amounts here. If your annual VED cost £240, and it is bought partway through a month, you're 'losing' less than £20 - and I would suggest the majority of people pay less than £240 anyway, so the amount 'lost' is even less. Viewed as a proportion of a car's purchase price, whether new or used, the percentage 'lost' is small.

The annual VED of our one car is £30, and when we bought that towards the end of the month, and it was taxed from the begiining of that month, we effectively 'lost' £2.50 worth of our VED. Similarly our other car's VED is £140, and we 'lost' the equivalent of £11.66 from that car's VED.

Think there are other more important things to worry about.

Edited by Auristocrat on 03/06/2014 at 22:26

Any/Any - Disappearing tax (VED!) disc implications - NARU

They are also reducing the additional cost for buying a 6-month disk from 10% to 5%, so there will be saving for some people.

I believe from Nov you'll also be able to tax by the month, at 5% over the cost of buying an annual policy. Might make the new system work well for people who lay up cars for several months of the year?

So some lose, but others gain?

Any/Any - Disappearing tax (VED!) disc implications - brum

As I understand it, if a car is taxed until the 31st of April

Then you are driving illegally having bought the scammed online version (there are only 30 days in April) ;)

Edited by brum on 04/06/2014 at 01:28

Any/Any - Disappearing tax (VED!) disc implications - 72 dudes

I agree with Steve - until someone comes along and tells us different, this is a stealth tax:

28.7m cars on UK roads, say 10% change hands in any month. Average VED £150? Overlap of VED averages 10 days in a month.

That's just under £12m extra the government would get per annum.

Edited by 72 dudes on 04/06/2014 at 16:41

Whether it is a stealth tax or not - its not going to be changed.

Any/Any - Disappearing tax (VED!) disc implications - Ordovices

That's only £2.40 per car, and is over 34 million used car transactions a year a realistic figure? I'm not denying a fact, it just seems a little high.

Any/Any - Disappearing tax (VED!) disc implications - 72 dudes

Ordovices, you are quite correct, I just found a 2013 report on used car volumes for 2013. There were 7.1m used car transactions.

So the government are only getting an extra £2.5m per year,

Auristocrat, no nothing will change, It's a great democracy we live in.

Edited by 72 dudes on 04/06/2014 at 19:28

Any/Any - Disappearing tax (VED!) disc implications - alan1302

Auristocrat, no nothing will change, It's a great democracy we live in.

A democracy nly works if the majority vote for the right people and stand up and be counted......most people will simply have a moan about it on a forum like this and then move on...that's why nothing will change.

Any/Any - Disappearing tax (VED!) disc implications - NARU

But as I said above, people who can only afford to tax their car for six months will pay less of an additional cost, so its possible that the measures are neutral overall.

Any/Any - Disappearing tax (VED!) disc implications - A3 A4

Minimal I know, but why still the need to charge more if paying for 6 months when there is zero human interaction in the payment process and the systems already in place. Especially when paying monthly by direct debit.