Audi A3 - Brake disk scoring on new Audi - jay1000

Good evening all.

I wondered if I could get some advice please on a new Audi purchase. The car has 20 miles on it and I have noticed what looks like brake disk scoring on both back wheels. I wanted to ask if this is normal or something I should contact the dealer about.

Here is a pic:

http://i1248.photobucket.com/albums/hh497/mus1c3/DSC00015copy_zps758eb3f0.jpg

Many thanks in advance

Jay

Audi A3 - Brake disk scoring on new Audi - focussed

A brake disc is a lump of cast iron that was probably standing in a field on wet grass or in a car park for three months or so before you bought it. It went rusty, it got scored-it's what brake discs do.

Audi A3 - Brake disk scoring on new Audi - Peter.N.

It only looks very light, if you cant feel the grooves with your fingers I wouldn't worry about it

Could be caused by grit or even mud picked up from the road or maybe variations in the hardness of the pads.

Audi A3 - Brake disk scoring on new Audi - gordonbennet

Looks like it could be a painted disc, friction area only just clearing the paint possibly.

Nothing to worry about anyway.

Edited by gordonbennet on 16/05/2014 at 00:25

Thanks very much for the quick replies. I was just worried if it looked like that after 20 miles it could get progressively worse over time. Nice to know its normal and nothing to worry about.

Audi A3 - Brake disk scoring on new Audi - Snakey

My fairly recent disks started to show this on one side only - I think it was down to a stone/chipping or something that gets wedged in there. A few thousand miles later and it was gone, worn down to the same level of the the rest of the disk.

Good to know Snakey, and after putting a few miles on the car today the scoring has all but gone on one side and is less visible on the other, so what you and Peter say about a foreign object is spot on.