Peugeot 307 - Car mounts pavement, Reg photo, Police No Action - Firmbutfair

Whilst I was walking home along the pavement in Rayleigh Road, Thundersley, SS7 3TB, shortly before noon (11:49 hrs) on 19 March 2014, walking in a southerly direction down from the brow of the hill and approaching the Woodmans Arms Pub, the vehicle pictured below, drove up behind me, and drove aggressively up and deeply onto the pavement at about 28 mph, as the road gently curves to the left, before swerving back off the pavement just before the Bus Stop outside the Woodmans' Arms, where a Family of 4 (2 adults and 2 children) were waiting for the bus, immediately after passing the very prominent road sign which shows a 'pedestrians crossing' triangle, a 'roundabout ahead' warning triangle and a rectangular 'Reduce Speed Now' sign, at a point where the kerb is lowered for a distance of about 8 to 10 metres to give vehicular access to the front hard standing/parking area outside number 387 Rayleigh Road. The rogue driver, a young, dark haired male, narrowly missed hitting me with his nearside wing mirror as the car swept past. The driver had apparently mounted the pavement because vehicles travelling up the hill in the opposite direction, were having to pull out and drive slightly over into his side of the road in order to pass a stationary trade vehicle parked half on the pavement on the opposite side of the road. As the rogue driver swept past me I reacted instantly by shouting loudly "Oi - watch where you are going matey" and as I did so I broke into a run and pursued the car down the hill past the Family of four at the bus stop and managed to take four photos. The driver left the pavement and returned to the road once he had negotiated the temporary 'hold up' and narrowly avoiding a collision with the Family of four waiting on the pavement, at the bus stop, outside the Woodmans Arms. The Family all smiled at me as I ran past and said “well done – go get him” and I was able to get four photos of the traffic stream he was in as he impatiently negotiated the traffic momentarily delaying his progress at the junction of Rayleigh Road and Daws Heath Road. I have submitted the only 'photo that clearly shows his number plate. I observed that the car was a light metallic green Peugeot Hatchback and afterwards, according to the Euro Car Parts 'Oil finder' application on their web site the vehicle with this reg number: BL51 HSD was first registered in 2001 and is a Peugeot 307 hatchback with a 1.6 litre petrol engine. From the way the driver mounted the pavement so fluently and 'at such speed' and at a point where the kerb is lowered, I would say that he has made a habit of 'cutting the corner' here whenever he fancies or whenever the traffic is heavy, on a regular basis. I would also guess that he lives locally. After crossing the junction, he sped off very briskly along the Rayleigh Road towards Hadleigh. His windows were wound right down as he drove past me and he undoubtedly heard me shouting at him. Having then almost immediately been living away from home for over 4 weeks caring for my Mother-in-Law in North Essex, I eventually reported the incident to the Police at Rayleigh Police Station on Tuesday 22 April 2014.

To my great dismay the Police Officer said that they can do nothing to prevent this driver actually hitting someone in the near future nor give him any kind of warning or caution, because 'I was not actually physically injured' and because they have no ability to 'cross compare or correlate' such reports entered onto their computer system, nor to gather matching data recorded elsewhere on the Police National Computer Network. Apparently if I witness or experience anything like this again, I need to get witness statements from members of the public who can corroborate my story and back up my photographic evidence etc. The female desk officer at Rayleigh Police Station was very pleasant and understanding about my concern and added that she sees similar examples of careless, dangerous and illegal driving every week but invariably there is nothing that the Police can do unless the action is witnessed by a police patrol car and they can pursue the bad driver, and/or take down the number and thus ultimately pay a visit to the address of the 'registered keeper' to make further enquiries etc.

Does any one on this Forum know any way of bringing such bad driving behaviour to book ?

Peugeot 307 - Car mounts pavement, Reg photo, Police No Action - RobJP

My first suggestion : go back to the police station, and ask to see the desk officer's superior. Ask them to give you an incident number. If they decline, insist on it.

After that point, if the driver does hit someone, then the police will have a lot of questions asked, and it will go down on someone's record that they had this reported, and did nothing about it. You may find that they will be more willing to 'have a word' with the owner/driver.

However, they are correct. They cannot take formal action on your sayso, as I'm sure you can understand.

Thanks for your advice RobJP - I shall do just as you suggest. As a frequent pedestrian, cyclist and car driver, I have observed that it is becoming increasingly 'fashionable' in this part of Essex for 'impatient' car drivers to use domestic driveway access 'run ins' as an easy way of 'keeping going' by mounting the pavement in the first driveway, continuing to drive at normal speed (20 to 30 mph) with two wheels on the pavement for say 10 to 20 metres and then returning to the road at the next convenient driveway run in, when ever it suits them e.g. when confronted by oncoming vehicles on 'their side' of the road, who are carefully overtaking vehicles 'parked up' in our narrow side roads etc. As a result it is no longer safe for children, or the elderly to walk out of any property onto the pavement for fear of being 'mown down' by a WAG in an SUV or 4 x 4, a boy racer or even sometimes what appears to be a normal member of society, driving a regular, nothing special, family car. Invariably, however, when this 'pavement surfing' happens, the driver is on his or her own, maybe also distracted by being 'on their mobile' and they carry out the surfing with little or no reduction in speed - almost as though it has become an 'automatic' response to having their passage temporarily blocked !

Peugeot 307 - Car mounts pavement, Reg photo, Police No Action - Armitage Shanks {p}

I am trying to visualise this. Do you mean people are putting their nearside wheels on the pavement and "under-taking" traffic going in the same direction, a bit like people misusing the hard shoulder of a motorway?

I am trying to visualise this. Do you mean people are putting their nearside wheels on the pavement and "under-taking" traffic going in the same direction, a bit like people misusing the hard shoulder of a motorway?

No, what you describe above only happens very occasionally in the area where I live - thank heavens! The common and very popular practice I describe is carried out by 'impatient' drivers who when they meet or are about to meet a vehicle coming towards them and 'necessarily' on their side (the pavement surfer's) side of the road - the surfer immediately and apparently without any further thought or hesitation, mounts the pavement, nearside wheels only, continues along the pavement in this manner, at their original speed or very close to it, and proceed to avoid any need to either stop, reverse or otherwise facilitate the passage of the oncoming vehicle as it legitimately drives cautiously and slowly past parked cars on its side of the road.

My first suggestion : go back to the police station, and ask to see the desk officer's superior. Ask them to give you an incident number. If they decline, insist on it.

After that point, if the driver does hit someone, then the police will have a lot of questions asked, and it will go down on someone's record that they had this reported, and did nothing about it. You may find that they will be more willing to 'have a word' with the owner/driver.

However, they are correct. They cannot take formal action on your sayso, as I'm sure you can understand.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Response to RobJP from Firmbutfair made on 08 May 2014 @ 00:42 hrs:

Thanks for your excellent advice RobJP. I can understand that the Police are not able to 'go round and have a stern word' with the registered keeper of the car based only on my one report, since this would give 'carte blanche' to any one to 'finger' anyone else maliciously or just for a laugh. However I was astonished by the desk officers insistence that the Police have no ability to initiate any kind of search on the Police Nationwide Computer Network database to check for any previously logged reports of bad driving associated with a specific vehicle registration plate ! I invited the desk officer to take down the details of my encounter and give me an incident number etc but she simply said that "as I was not physically injured and as the event had happened over a month prior to my visit to the Police Station then there was nothing she could do for me". We have all seen on TV programs such as NCIS that they can conduct similar searches on their database in about 3 to 5 seconds flat. I even offered (tongue in cheek) to install a software 'APP' on the Police National Computer Network to facilitate the necessary search and correlation functions that would enable them monitor such events and keep tabs on all such reported incidents (because that is similar to what I do as my day job) but she just laughed. She did however agree that if they had such a facility and if they had enough reports relating to a particular vehicle and that there appeared to be no connection between the people reporting the incidents - then the police would be lagally entitled to consider taking some form of action against the offending driver to curtail his errant ways... :-)