Dashcam mini review Mini 0801 Ambarella - Leif

I bought one of these a few months ago, but only got to using it yesterday. It cost me about £110, not peanuts, but not expensive. The video is very good, some glare from the sun, but nothing serious. It's very small and the build is decent enough, time will tell. The reason I bought the unit is that it is tiny. I am not sure if I will leave it in place when parked, as it can be seen from outside even though it is small. I might shove it in the glove box. What do other people do? How do people fix the cable in place?

I had two serious problems:

1)

Movies viewed on my PC were very jerky, making them unusable, even when using the supplied movie player software (on the supplied disk). The seller said that the problem was with Windows Vista, and when I booted up my Windows 8 PC, I was able to play the movies using the Windows movie player, with no signs of jerkiness. So be aware that the video support under earlier Windows versions is not good. (The low grade video card on my PC may also have played a role.)

2)

I was unable to open the configuration menu, to set the time. The solution is to exit play mode. I was able to do this by taking out the micro SD card. Then press the up arrow until the menu appears. As an aside, a long press of the big button on the end does a reset.

These issues are not with the unit, but frankly the manual is not good, although the English is decent enough. Otherwise the unit is pretty easy to use. It includes GPS, and when you play a movie in the supplied player software, not only do you see the video from the camera, you also see a map view, with the course of the car shown in green, it's impressive. The player software is rather slick looking but a tad clunky. I only expect to use it as and when there is an incident, and I need to check the video to use as evidence. The video is full HD, and it is rather good. There are examples online.

I was fortunate as I bought from a good seller (combi-uk on ebay) and he spent a considerable amount of time on the phone talking me through the issues. You can buy these units directly from China, but I would recommend buying from the UK to get proper customer support. I can recommend the chap I bought from, but I am sure there are other good UK based sellers out there.

Do I recommend this unit? Yes, subject to buying from someone who provides customer support in case of issues.

Dashcam mini review Mini 0801 Ambarella - John Boy

Thanks for taking the trouble to type that up, Leif.

Dashcam mini review Mini 0801 Ambarella - Smileyman

I use one of these too - I leave it in the car all the time, it's so small it is almost impossible to see from outside, even then the person looking must look hard to see it. It can be removed but I'd be worried the mounting would fail over time.

I have the unit without GPS. The video does not play on either of my WIN XP computers, but it played fine on my brother's PC running WIN 7.

There is an excellent review on the web ... see link

www.techmoan.com/blog/2013/8/31/the-mini-0801-tiny...l