Ford Galaxy - Is all this "equipment" stuff that goes wrong? - drjaking

I very nearly just bought a beautiful 58 plate Ford Galaxy Ghia. Never having had a higher end vehicle, I was blown away by the programmable self adjusting seat/mirror thing, the dual zone climate control, the central locked fuel filler, the electric parking brake, the tyre pressure monitoring, etc, etc.

I really wanted to buy it. It had been well looked after, 75k miles and pretty much good as new. But a little pragmatic voice kept telling me all that comfort equipment was just going to fail and cost a fortune to put right. Bang, suddenly you can't adjust the seats. Bang, suddenly you can't open the filler cap. The EPB was the killer actually, if it hadn't been for that I think I would have gone for it.

Am I wrong? Is all this kit surprisingly reliable?

Ford Galaxy - Is all this "equipment" stuff that goes wrong? - elekie&a/c doctor

Modern cars of any price are full to the brim with advanced technology,both mechanical and electronic.Some of it will eventually fail and cost a fortune to fix,often almost the value of the car.Just as an example,Audi models have continual problems with the Drls in the headlights,they are not repairable and a new headlight is reqd at over £400 each side,What a waste.

Ford Galaxy - Is all this "equipment" stuff that goes wrong? - gordonbennet

Eventually it will go wrong, of course it will, its meant to, its not in makers interests to build cars that last 20 years any more, they made that mistake in the late 80's/90's, rust doesn't kill cars off in the way it used to so economical early scrappage, aided and abetted by gradual legislation to rid towns (at first) of those simpler cars that survived is the way forward.

Drjaking, you're on a slippery slope, the brainwashing didn't take as it was supposed, next thing you'll be on a register somewhere as a potential luddite/dissident, and find yourself searching out simpler older designs or even van based hardier stuff, you're in good company..:-)

Edited by gordonbennet on 25/03/2014 at 09:29

Ford Galaxy - Is all this "equipment" stuff that goes wrong? - Railroad.
The manufacturer's intended life of a new car is less than 8 years. We all know they do go on longer than that, but it's worth bearing in mind.
Ford Galaxy - Is all this "equipment" stuff that goes wrong? - Sprice

I wouldn't class a centrally locked fuel filler as modern technology, probably been around 20 years

Ford Galaxy - Is all this "equipment" stuff that goes wrong? - thunderbird

All my life people have always wanted a better equipped car. When I was a kid my dad always wanted one with a heater and carpets but now it moved on a little bit.

Why would anyone with even 1/2 a brain would want to go back to those days.

Would you want a house without central heating just because its one less thing to go wrong. Would you get rid of the washing machine since that ocationally breaks, same with the telly and fridge.

From the way the technophobes react to modern living you would think they want to go back to the stone age.

I like my cars with lots of modern conveniences.

And at the end of the day a modern car with all the gizmo's is still more reliable than a car of the 60's and 70's 9or even the 80's) that had no equipement whatsoever.

Ford Galaxy - Is all this "equipment" stuff that goes wrong? - focussed

All my life people have always wanted a better equipped car. When I was a kid my dad always wanted one with a heater and carpets but now it moved on a little bit.

Why would anyone with even 1/2 a brain would want to go back to those days.

Would you want a house without central heating just because its one less thing to go wrong. Would you get rid of the washing machine since that ocationally breaks, same with the telly and fridge.

From the way the technophobes react to modern living you would think they want to go back to the stone age.

I like my cars with lots of modern conveniences.

And at the end of the day a modern car with all the gizmo's is still more reliable than a car of the 60's and 70's 9or even the 80's) that had no equipement whatsoever.

Yes, all very true but in the interests of sanity I think a line has to drawn somewhere-and that should be just to the north of an electrical parking brake - if there is any gadget that is looking to solve a problem that doesn't exist it has got to be that. Can't drivers pull the handbrake lever up any more? Are people who drive so physically weak that they find it difficult or impossible to use a handbrake? I can appreciate that in the case of a disabled driver that may be case and a handbrake applied electrically may be a godsend, but for a normally fit driver it is superfluous.

Well, I didn't buy it. No doubt, if I had unlimited funds then these comforts would be nice, but then I wouldn't be buying a 5 year old car from Cargiant. Even the hard sell geezer on the phone said he sticks to simpler machines. That Galaxy was due a service, will need eloys topped up, might be getting ready for a clutch/dmf, chews through 17" tyres, and that's without any of the gadgets failing.

Sadly though, I looked at Grand Picasso's and Scenics and they all seem to be full of gadgets and flimsy with it, at least the Ford felt solid. The Scenics especially are like Amstrad ghetto blasters, I can't see all that bling lasting even 8 years.

Basic model Touran petrol, any good?

Ford Galaxy - Is all this "equipment" stuff that goes wrong? - csgmart

Yes, all very true but in the interests of sanity I think a line has to drawn somewhere-and that should be just to the north of an electrical parking brake - if there is any gadget that is looking to solve a problem that doesn't exist it has got to be that. Can't drivers pull the handbrake lever up any more? Are people who drive so physically weak that they find it difficult or impossible to use a handbrake? I can appreciate that in the case of a disabled driver that may be case and a handbrake applied electrically may be a godsend, but for a normally fit driver it is superfluous.

Well, as the driver of 2 automatic cars equiped with EPBs I can tell you they make for a FAR more relaxed and efficient driving experience. Same story would, I guess, not be true for manual cars but for autos they are great.

Ford Galaxy - Is all this "equipment" stuff that goes wrong? - gordonbennet

Well, as the driver of 2 automatic cars equiped with EPBs I can tell you they make for a FAR more relaxed and efficient driving experience. Same story would, I guess, not be true for manual cars but for autos they are great.

Why would you find an EPB useful when drving an auto, the only time i ever use my parking brake is when i park.

Be a cold day on hell before i buy a car equipped with one, they sometimes failed on the transporter when i delivered them new, never in all my years have i had a manual parking brake fail.

For some of us the demand for ever more electronic tat is a blessing, those older cars especially attractive because they are devoid of such stuff, and repairable, are going dirt cheap.

Not sure i agree about wanting old cars. They might be repairable, but they also often need repairing. I just want reliable.

I see Pentagon are doing a bran new 1.8 zafira petrol for £8995 (though for me my trade in would only be 500 so it would be 9495). Base model but surely that's a cracking deal if you need an MPV isn't?