Honda frv - Loss of tyre pressure - Ste Foy
My Honda had what I thought was a slow puncture on the front near side tyre.
My local tyre supplier, Roadwheel, in Fleet, said that Japanese manufacturers used re cycled alloy for their wheels and that the tyre rim was porous. They burst the tyre and put sealant round the bead. All good so far. The other wheels seem OK.
Is the above scenario true? Should one be careful about cars made in Japan?
Personally I 'm sceptical.
Honda frv - Loss of tyre pressure - skidpan

Scenario A Japanese cars are total tat. They are built out of substandard materials in a shoddy manner, makes you winder how they sell them. Its only a matter of time before another country starts making cars that are reliable and long lasting, perhaps it will be the UK's turn, who knows.

Scenario B Your tyre chappy is a total muppet who does not have a clue.

Which are you voteing for?

Honda frv - Loss of tyre pressure - madf

"Bull excrement" is a good description of the story.

1. ALL alloy wheels use alloy to a certain specification as required by the manufacturer. Almost certainly all alloy material will include some recycled material.

2. Srangely teh world is not full of stories of Japanese cars breaking down - let alone with slow punctures.

3. We have two Japanese cars with alloys- one is >10 years old. No leaks ever.

Honda frv - Loss of tyre pressure - coopshere
It is not unknown for alloy wheels to become porous but this is not something that only affects Japanese cars. Most alloy wheels are trouble free throughout their lives. Having been given that cock and bull story by the tyre fitter I wouldn't be going back there again.
Honda frv - Loss of tyre pressure - Andrew-T

I don't believe alloy wheels become 'porous' - for that to happen the metal would have to lose some molecular material to create voids. What does happen is surface corrosion at the bead, where pollutants (such as road salt) creep in. That has happened to all four wheels on my Pug 207 not long after fitting new tyres, making it necessary to deflate them, clean the beads and apply new sealant (or lubricant). If the fitter had done that in the first place I don't think the problem would have arisen - it hasn't since.

It can occur round the valve seat too.

Edited by Andrew-T on 20/01/2014 at 18:09