Audi A4 1998 2.8 - Automatic gearbox issue - DominiqueT

I bought my Audi about six months ago, Its been running like a dream. I now have encountered a problem. Everything runs perfect, smooth gear change etc. Until it seems that the engine starts to warm up. The "clutch" is slipping! I can put into any gear and the car starts to budge at about 4-5000 revs. Ive had the Audi towed in and to my suprise the following morning everything runs like a dream. Only then to have the same problem when the motor warms up. Slipping with no power. Please could anyone come up with any sugestions to what could be wrong? I have been told that it is possible that the Transmission oil is low. I dont want to service and sit with the same problem. Please HELP!!!

Audi A4 1998 2.8 - Automatic gearbox issue - madf

Check the transomission oil level.

Audi A4 1998 2.8 - Automatic gearbox issue - Collos25

A gearbox fault or a front suspension problem on these VAG models is normally their death, if changing the oil does not cure the problem you are looking at a lot of money just to have a look at the gearbox.

Audi A4 1998 2.8 - Automatic gearbox issue - coopshere
In fairness to other marques I suspect that a major Auto Box fault on a car of that age would be the death of them all. The rebuild or replacement cost would be greater than the value of the car.
Audi A4 1998 2.8 - Automatic gearbox issue - skidpan

I dont want to service and sit with the same problem.

Problem is unless you do something you will never know its a small easilly solved issue or a major problem.

Getting the oil topped up if low or even getting it changed (just make sure the correct grade is used) are not going to break the bank and you will then be able to either drive happilly along or have to decide what to do next.

Audi A4 1998 2.8 - Automatic gearbox issue - Collos25

You can buy here in Germany recon Mercedes auto boxes for very reasonable money and there are plenty of firms that will repair existing Mercedes boxes but not anything that was used in VAG.