Mini one - Cost price of a mini one auto - nicnac

Hello,

Can anyone tell me what the cost price of a new mini one is?

Thank you

Mini one - Cost price of a mini one auto - artill

£4.99 or buy 2 get one free i think, but if you want to double check, try the Mini Web site

Mini one - Cost price of a mini one auto - Avant

Per What Car December issue the Mini First starts at £11,870 list price, the Mini One at £13,460. But that's without any of theoptions that Mini owner usually choose.

I'd guess that automatic transmission is about £1,000 extra.

Edited by Avant on 08/12/2013 at 22:05

Mini one - Cost price of a mini one auto - Gibbo_Wirral

Cost price as in "cost to build" or cost on the forecourt?

Mini one - Cost price of a mini one auto - drd63

More than it should be?

Minis are better value they they look (at least when bought new) as they hold their value much better than the competition. I doubt, though, whether a buyer of an automatic would get back much of the extra cost: most buyers of small cars prefer manuals.

Mini one - Cost price of a mini one auto - carl_a

Minis are better value they they look (at least when bought new) as they hold their value much better than the competition. I doubt, though, whether a buyer of an automatic would get back much of the extra cost: most buyers of small cars prefer manuals.

They may hold slightly more value but they still loose shed loads. As a previous mini owner I lost loads more than I have with other brands, because they cost less in the first place.

Mini one - Cost price of a mini one auto - nicnac

cost to build. What the dealer would pay the manufacturers for the car.

Mini one - Cost price of a mini one auto - Armitage Shanks {p}

The "Cost to Build" would not be what the dealer pays would it? The manufacturer has to cover their costs and make a profit. Not quite the same but figures for an iPad are

Apple's iPad mini launched last week, and before i teven went on sale, enterprising fans has acquired one and ripped it apart.

However, today another site, IH, has gone one step further and worked out exactly how much the gadget costs Apple to make.

The firm says that the Wi-Fi 16GB base model costs roughly £117 ($188) for Apple to build - and it sells them for £269 ($329) each.

Edited by Armitage Shanks {p} on 11/12/2013 at 09:06

First and Only Law of Economics - the right price of goods or services is what some other poor sap will pay for them.

Mini one - Cost price of a mini one auto - Armitage Shanks {p}

Yes bot OP is not asking about price in the show room - he is asking abiut the cost, to the manufacturer, of the vehicle as it comes of the production lin, I think

Mini one - Cost price of a mini one auto - nortones2

I don't know, but there was a contributor with VAG connections, who stated the VW Passat cost price to mfr. was around £3000. This was at a time the vehicle sold for £20k. He seems to have been away for some time, possibly connected with his disarming frankness on this and other matters:) So, assuming cost price is in the same ratio as VAG back then, and having nothing better to go on, I'd guess cost price of the MINI at the gate is 15% of the retail.

Mini one - Cost price of a mini one auto - idle_chatterer

I don't know, but there was a contributor with VAG connections, who stated the VW Passat cost price to mfr. was around £3000. This was at a time the vehicle sold for £20k. He seems to have been away for some time, possibly connected with his disarming frankness on this and other matters:) So, assuming cost price is in the same ratio as VAG back then, and having nothing better to go on, I'd guess cost price of the MINI at the gate is 15% of the retail.

People often seem (to me) to confuse variable costs with fixed costs, I wonder whether the quoted GBP3000 is merely the incremental cost of materials for making an additional Passat and ignores the cost of the R&D, Design, Factory and Machinery, possibly even labour etc etc ? Sure there's going to be a profit or else the shareholders might ask why the manufacturer is bothering.

I have read that large cars are more profitable than small cars because they command a higher price but many of the manufacturing costs are similar whatever size the vehicle is e.g. it will have a roughly similar number of parts to assemble albeit smaller ones, the metal, glass etc being a relatively small part of the cost.

So, I'll bet that Passat really costs more like GBP10,000 to make - still offering a tidy profit to the manufacturer, dealer and HMRC from the GBP20,000 the punter hands over?

The demise of Holden this week suggests to me that most car manufacturers are not making super-normal profits and that they rely on volume in the same way that Tescos do in retail,

Indeed, and the lower the volume the greater the need for a profit margin. I don't believe that a £250,000 Rolls-Royce costs 10 times as much to make as my £25,000 Skoda, but they have to charge according to the volume of sales (low volume, naturally, because you can't get all the stuff in the boot of a Rolls that you can in an Octavia.....).

Mini one - Cost price of a mini one auto - oldtoffee

Very rough figures - VAG made 9 million vehicles in 2012 and 21 billion euros profit = 2.333 euros profit per vehicle. Toyota made 8.8 million vehicles and 962 billion yen = 109,000 yen (770 euros) profit per vehicle. BMW, 1.8 million cars and 7.8 billion euros profit = 4,333 euros per car. Lesson - buy Japanese cars and German shares ;-)

Mini one - Cost price of a mini one auto - Brit_in_Germany

the problem of simply dividing profit by number of cars manufactured is that it ignores the source of the profit. The figures are distorted by such things as share price fluctuations (think Porsche) and profits from banking/financial operations.

Mini one - Cost price of a mini one auto - drd63
I've sat in a new Ghost and was picked up from Stansted in a Skoda Octavia taxi today. On first impressions I can easily believe the Rolls costs at 25 times more to make, let alone design, develop etc.
Mini one - Cost price of a mini one auto - nortones2

Cost including R&D, capital, labour, but not including mark-up and return for shareholders. All of which are variable.