I've got a HIDache - Bobbin Threadbare

Really these high intensity headlights are getting stupid! I have come home with yet another stinking headache from the glare and flash from overly bright headlamps. What is the point?!

I teach astronomy as well as physics, and as part of that I discuss light pollution and how our eyes adapt to the dark. These HIDs are causing more problems than they're worth as our eyes desperately try to adjust and react to the brightness. I find that I can't see what's eitherside of a car with these lamps (especially 4x4s as they're so high).

Am I just struggling because my car is so low down? There's nothing wrong with my eyes!

Is this excessive brightness EU legislation...?!

I've got a HIDache - Andrew-T

As I said in another thread, it's driven by the safety notion that moving vehicles are most visible when most brightly lit, which has been made easier by the fairly recent introduction of low-energy high-output lamps. This leads to leapfrogging, as every driver then needs brighter lights to see through the glare. The stylists have taken to making LEDs into pretty outlines on the front and rear of cars.

The leapfrogging can't go on indefinitely without causing unnecessary eye strain and perhaps more collisions.

I've got a HIDache - Bromptonaut

Not just you BT. There are all sorts of odd effects with HID lights. Sometimes they look as though they're flashing - in the watch out/come on sense. Other times, broken by reservation crash barrier supports, they give the sublimial impression of a blue light vehicle.

I seriously doubt they offer much better lighting than well desigend tunsten halogen lights. Instead they allow poor but 'stylistic' designs to appear positive while blinding other road users absolutely and more so IRO vulnerable groups like cyclists.

The EU has failed to legislate so as to control them. But then again capitalism tends to get by that way.

EDIT - I adopt the submission of my learned friend Andrew_T

Edited by Bromptonaut on 13/11/2013 at 21:09

I've got a HIDache - gordonbennet

As above, its needless and goodness knows where it will go from here, bad enough now, give it another 5 years and we'll be donning sunglasses for night drving.

Being very high up the effects of headlights are not as bad, but rear lights can indeed be worse sometimes when for example following lines of traffic, the car driver is looking at maybe 2 to 4 sets, the lorry driver is seeing hundreds and on wet roads all these twinkling fairy LED's are reflecting from the road too, so pretty, crunch.

Edited by gordonbennet on 13/11/2013 at 22:22

I've got a HIDache - Mike H

the lorry driver is seeing hundreds and on wet roads all these twinkling fairy LED's are reflecting from the road too, so pretty, crunch.

For me, lorries with large numbers of oddly configured lights causes a problem, trying to work out what the hell is in front of me, that is, whether it's a number of cars, a UFO or one truck.

I've got a HIDache - gordonbennet

For me, lorries with large numbers of oddly configured lights causes a problem, trying to work out what the hell is in front of me, that is, whether it's a number of cars, a UFO or one truck.

Agreed, got to the silly stage now.

We've mentioned here before the daft idea of lorry amber side marker lights, amber should be indicators and nothing else, we used to have two colour lenses at one time, far better, no mistakes.

I've got a HIDache - jamie745

The EU has failed to legislate so as to control them.

Good, if it were up to them they'd be even brighter. It's the EU which mandates these silly DRL's on everything now. In 10 years time, you'll be blinded in the daytime as well as at night.

I've got a HIDache - Happy Blue!

I have them on my S-Max. They're OK but I find that they do not throw the light far enough and I only have them because they were already fitted to a car I bought second hand. Would I order them on a new car; probably not unless they lit the road much better than the standard headlights.

I agree also that they can be distracting although the LED lights now fitted to some cars are more so.

I've got a HIDache - dimdip

Those newfangled welding masks where the screen dims automatically as the arc is struck makes me think one day there will be windscreens which automatically dim areas where bright lights shine at the driver's eyes, while leaving the rest of the screen undimmed to allow good vision of the rest of the road.

The idea that brighter is always better is definitely a fallasy; the ideal is to reduce the range of brightness as much as practicable, so the eye can best see as much as possible.

Which is why I think it's also best to stay on sidelights until it's actually dark. But that's something you'll have no doubt already debated here!

Edited by dimdip on 14/11/2013 at 10:09

Those newfangled welding masks where the screen dims automatically as the arc is struck makes me think one day there will be windscreens which automatically dim areas where bright lights shine at the driver's eyes, while leaving the rest of the screen undimmed to allow good vision of the rest of the road.

That technology will need to be very clever to know exactly where the driver's eyes are, so as to dim the right parts. By then the car will be driving itself, and the 'driver' will be a passenger.

I've got a HIDache - Gibbo_Wirral

Its not just HIDs, it doesn't help that you can get 100 watt "off road" bulbs on Ebay for a few quid.

People buy them then just whip them out before MOT time.

I have to actively discourage people from using them by saying it melts the bulb holders and the wiring

I've got a HIDache - dimdip

That technology will need to be very clever to know exactly where the driver's eyes are, so as to dim the right parts. By then the car will be driving itself, and the 'driver' will be a passenger.

Well, the technology already exists to know where a subject is lookng, albeit using a headset last time I saw. Combine that with the functionality of an existing scanning games console to know where the head is, and the sight lines would be fairly straightforward to calculate. No idea how dfficult it would be to bring the welding mask functionality to a windscreen.

How far away are self-driven cars I wonder; google already has them doing the Streetview mapping in California, apparently. Be interesting to see which technology comes first there.

I've got a HIDache - Hamsafar

New top of the range cars, such as the Audi A8 have dynamic LED matrixes which continually mask out the opposing and preceding traffic. Great but will it be 20 years before it's normal?

I don't think you will like the feature at ~2:45 as they strobe at pedestrians who are walking on the road!

www.youtube.com/watch?v=54RInsRxlL8

Edited by Hamsafar on 14/11/2013 at 20:27

I've got a HIDache - concrete

Really these high intensity headlights are getting stupid! I have come home with yet another stinking headache from the glare and flash from overly bright headlamps. What is the point?!

I teach astronomy as well as physics, and as part of that I discuss light pollution and how our eyes adapt to the dark. These HIDs are causing more problems than they're worth as our eyes desperately try to adjust and react to the brightness. I find that I can't see what's eitherside of a car with these lamps (especially 4x4s as they're so high).

Am I just struggling because my car is so low down? There's nothing wrong with my eyes!

Is this excessive brightness EU legislation...?!

I would like to be associated with the remarks of the above threader. Here! here!

Start a campaign Bobin and I will sign up.

Cheers Concrete

I've got a HIDache - coopshere
As suggested by dimdip true night vision is impaired by light, e.g. Wake in the middle of the night and you can make out most things in the room, get up and walk to the loo without putting a light on then you put the light on so you don't end up with wet feet, finish and put the light out, now you have to feel your way back to bed as you've ruined your night vision.

The problem with modern motoring is that everyone is coveted in a speed machine, to drive fast at night you need better lights so you can see further. The faster you drive the better your lights need to be and so the circle carries on. So is the answer to have lower speed limits when it's dark? You won't then need brighter lights.

It seems that the likes of ROSPA (do they still exist?) and other safety organisations never seem to address these lighting issues. Bright lights are dangerous, I'm now getting blinded by cyclists with spotlights on their heads, come on safety organisations do something about it.

Edited by coopshere on 14/11/2013 at 16:33

I've got a HIDache - Skezza

Yep, cyclists, cars, motorbikes, where does it end?

I was recently tailgated by a 63 reg- Merc with HID's + DRL's. They were so bright that I couldn't tell whether they were on dipped or beam, and the whole experience was actually making me feel sick. I flipped my mirror into the dipped position and even then, the light was so bright that it was vivid enough to make out most of the frontend of the vehicle.

Like I said, don't know if they were on beam, but if that's dipped then my word... we've got a serious problem.

I've got a HIDache - jamie745

Frankly, on a 30mph urban, street lit road, you don't really need headlights on at all.

You are allowed to just use sidelights on such a road, yet everybody seems to forget that.

I've got a HIDache - Mike H

Frankly, on a 30mph urban, street lit road, you don't really need headlights on at all.

You are allowed to just use sidelights on such a road, yet everybody seems to forget that.

Difficult to tell whether you are serious or winding everyone up. Driving with just sidelights on is a dangerous occupation for all concerned, whether driver of the vehicle, other road users, or pedestrians.

Edited by Mike H on 15/11/2013 at 20:39

I've got a HIDache - galileo

Difficult to tell whether you are serious or winding everyone up. Driving with just sidelights on is a dangerous occupation for all concerned, whether driver of the vehicle, other road users, or pedestrians.

That may be true,but until Lucas started a campaign in the 1960s to use dipped headlamps in lit streets, most people did drive on sidelights. As Lucas made money selling batteries, dynamos and light bulbs, cynical people wondered if that had anything to do with their campaign (supported by Birmingham council, too, I seem to remember).

I've got a HIDache - dan86

Cars used to have dynamos and people would drive on sidelights because the dynamo didnt produce enough power when stationary but cars nowdays have alternators witch provide enough power no matter what revs the engin is doing.

I've got a HIDache - bathtub tom

I was recently tailgated by a 63 reg- Merc with HID's + DRL's. They were so bright that I couldn't tell whether they were on dipped or beam, and the whole experience was actually making me feel sick. I flipped my mirror into the dipped position and even then, the light was so bright that it was vivid enough to make out most of the frontend of the vehicle.

I find in such circumstances my rear fog gets turned on, but i'm too dazzled to see the warning light.

The problem with modern motoring is that everyone is coveted in a speed machine, to drive fast at night you need better lights so you can see further.

Very true, but I think you mean 'cosseted' . I don't feel coveted in my speed machine :-)

I've got a HIDache - Bobbin Threadbare

Thanks for all the back up to my ranting guys. ROSPA do still exist - I might have to get in touch with them.

DRLs have annoyed me a lot but I think that HIDs will cause more accidents. Hard to see indicators and so on as well.

I find in such circumstances my rear fog gets turned on, but i'm too dazzled to see the warning light.

Brill! I tend to find that I need to wash my windscreen in response to the dazzle as well.

Being tailgated by a 63 reg Merc 4x4 is what prompted me to make my thread in the first place...

Edited by Bobbin Threadbare on 14/11/2013 at 17:59

< DRLs have annoyed me a lot but I think that HIDs will cause more accidents. Hard to see indicators and so on as well. >

No doubt we can look forward to a progression of brighter indicators too ....

I've got a HIDache - RichT54

My CR-V has Bi-HID healights and I was amazed the first time I tried main beam at night by the intensity of light reflected back at me from various road signs.

It also has "high-beam assist" which is supposed to switch from dip to main beam automatically if it thinks there is no traffic ahead. However, I don't think it reacts quickly enough when on-coming traffic appears - it waits several seconds longer than I would do myself to put the headlights onto dip beam. I have therefore disabled this feature. It was a standard fitting on my model, I certainly wouldn't consider paying for it as an option.

I've got a HIDache - coopshere
"Very true, but I think you mean 'cosseted' . I don't feel coveted in my speed machine :-)"

That will do but I actually tried to write coc***ed but the PC police took over.
I've got a HIDache - Smileyman

I like the HID headlamps fitted to my car, properly aligned they should not be a nuisance to anyone. I dislike the H4 headlamps on my wife's car, it;'s like driving with candles for lights. Indeed, I'd like HID lights on my next car, and I lament that so many manufacturers have yet to trickle down this technology from the top highest spec models.

Nowadays I commute 40 miles each way, including 15 miles on a narrow winding A road, I have yet to suffer the problems other mention.

But, I hate the fairy lights fitted to so many new cars these days, and would much prefer a 'dim-dip' solution whereby the headlamp glows at a reduced light output in daytime. I will be using dipped headlamps in the day for sure instead of being a fairground attraction.

BTW I have never driven on front side lights ever since passing my test over 30 years ago, for me side lights are nothing more than parking lights and only Westmister (not EU) legsilation would force me to change.

I've got a HIDache - RicardoB

My car has these Xenon lights. Definitely not my choice because they were a standard fit.

In my opinion, they are certainly no better in reality than my previous car's standard halogen headlights. As someone else has said, I think their range is smaller.

But at the same time, I know that they dazzle on-coming vehicles and also cars in front where I just know that they will be filling the car ahead's interior with light.

So I always make a point of leaving enough distance from the car in front so that the "dip" doesn't "hit" the car in front. Sadly of course, most drivers drive too close.

Of course, these lights are "self leveling" so don't have (certainly on my car anyway) a driver controlled adjuster to lower the beam, which would be useful.

They are ridiculously complex and one day when they go wrong, will no doubt cost a fortune.

I think they are fitted as "fashion" for cars or a kind of status symbol.

And my car isn't German!

But, I .... would much prefer a 'dim-dip' solution whereby the headlamp glows at a reduced light output in daytime.

Bright headlamps aren't a problem in daytime, just a nuisance. It's at night that they dazzle oncoming drivers, especially on wet roads or at the brow of a gentle hill. Great for you the driver of course.

I've got a HIDache - hillman

I drive with sidelights on at all times, because it means that I don't forget to switch the lights on. Recently I've flashed a few cars without lights to jog them into switching theirs on. The cars have generally been dark coloured and hard to see. I've been gratified to see that the car following the culprit has flashed them too.

I've seen a car several times recently that has a double row of LED sidelights at the front looking like an old fashioned beer drinker's moustache, very bright and obtrusive in daylight. I've looked at the rear lights and they been off, and nothing special to look at. I wonder if the moustache is an after-market addition.

I've got a HIDache - RicardoB

I've seen a car several times recently that has a double row of LED sidelights at the front looking like an old fashioned beer drinker's moustache, very bright and obtrusive in daylight. I've looked at the rear lights and they been off, and nothing special to look at. I wonder if the moustache is an after-market addition.

This sounds as if it's a current Audi (although other cars such as Hyundais etc seem to have these decorative fairy lights now). They are the daytime running lights, which in my opinion, are a growing disaster for road safety... It worries, but doesn't surprise me, that so many drivers of such equipped cars, rely on these DRLs without thinking that they do not operate the rear lights.

I have said this before on other messages on here, but I foresee lots more rear-end shunts in particular and also cars emerging from side roads without seeing on-coming cars in time, in the dark misty mornings/evenings as more and more cars hit the roads that have these DRLs.

This is progress?!

I've got a HIDache - idle_chatterer

Must admit to agreeing with the OP. The contrived nature of many DRLs is becoming comical - Audi and Landrover appear to be some of the worst offenders. Then there's Mercedes which have lower mounted DRL LED strips and contrived DRLs in the headlamps at the same time....

As to HIDs, I've had experience of 2 'implementations' of them - one in a CIVIC FK3 where they were deployed (as standard Honda specification) in conventional-looking fresnel reflectors for low beam only. I quite liked these and suspect that they caused less of a problem than other 'shuttered' installations ? They had auto-levelling and washers of course.

The other implementation was in an E91 BMW and I found these frustrating e.g. if you put the fog lamps on (in fog of course) then they shortened the beam to the point of uselessness at night. One way of stopping drivers using the foglamps as ornaments I guess.... High beam was accomplished via a shutter and the central high beam lamps were merely ornamental/DRLs. I suspect this implementation may have caused more dazzle to other road users.

I note that Audi and Mercedes no longer fit front fog lamps to their HID equipped models, I assume this is because the fog lamp 'functionality' is accomplished via the HID beam shutters ?

Headlamp performance seems to vary greatly between models, H7 lamps in one car seem to be subjectively (to me) much better than in another. What I would say is that elipsoidal / reflector H7 lamps in an A4 B5 I had years ago seemed subjectively worse than the same bulbs deployed in fresnel reflectors in my wife's Golf IV at that time.

I've got a HIDache - hillman

Commenting on Bobbin's problem with glare - in the EN lighting standards there is a distinction made between veiling glare and disabling glare. The standards don't cover road transport, but the principles are the same. When the HID headlamps are such that one has difficulty seeing beyond them then that is veiling glare. When one is has to look away because the lights are so bright as to be almost painful, then that is disabling glare. The last time I had difficulty seeing was due to a cyclist with lights on the bike and the rider's head of such brightness that I had to slow down to walking pace.

Met something this eve as we appraoched a horse & cart era bridge over Grand Union Canal form opposite directions. Lie of land is such that I'm lower down than him while on opposite side of bridge.

I think he flashed me to go first but the 'veiling glare' as mentioned above by hillman was, combined with lurking mist, such I could't position myself accurately on the bridge. Fortunately he got message and moved off first.

I've got a HIDache - Gibbo_Wirral

Now the dark nights are drawing in and I've changed my work hours I've noticed a huge increase in lights on cyclists helmets. Not normal lights, but Cree style torches mounted.

As they're higher than the position of a normal bike light they're going right into drivers eyes.

Now the dark nights are drawing in and I've changed my work hours I've noticed a huge increase in lights on cyclists helmets. Not normal lights, but Cree style torches mounted.

As they're higher than the position of a normal bike light they're going right into drivers eyes.

Not the right way to do things at all but at least they've got a light!!

I've got a HIDache - andy815

Yes indead, these lights are ok on level ground but we havnt got any in the uk, cars bounce up and down and its goodnight Viena for oncoming drivers. Thing are even worse if its an high 4x4 coming your way. Have considerd making a complaint to Euro trafic commisioners but as always have done nothing. Maybe we should all wrie in.