Insurance company trying to backcharge me £360 - ScrewYouAdmiral

I've just had an almost identical experience to that of this guy: http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/posts/?t=75971#m874896

Two and a half years ago I had a chip in my windscreen. This was covered by my premium with Admiral without any impact on my NCB. I contacted Admiral informing them of the chip and they sent a guy out who fixed it.

Not long after I had a guy drive into the back of me. It was a slow collision and there was no dammage either end but the guy was extremely aggressive and confruntational. Armed with a couple of whitnesses on my side I decided it would be best to contact Admiral and inform them that a man has gently gone into the back of me which resulted in no dammage, but due to his attitude I am aware he may try and claim against me (despite it being his fault). When I spoke to the people at Admiral they said that's fine, providing he doesn't claim in the next 6 months, it will be whiped from the system.

Last week (A couple of weeks before my insurance, still with Admiral, is up for renual), I get an email stating I owe them £360 due to an unreported claim.

I phone up and speak to a rather rude individual who informs me that it is because I never informed Admiral of my window repair in 2011. [This is despite the fact that the window wouldn't have been repaired if I hadn't contacted Admiral in the first place]. The woman says she can't help me but gets another department to call me back the next day.

This person is considerably friendlier and explains that they have made a mistake, It isn't £360, it's £307. They had innitially quoted for a crash (The man going into the back of me), and the windscreen, but have now realised that they shouldn't have charged me for the windscreen.

She proceeded to explain that I am being charged the £307 for not including the "crash" (Which I had informed them about), in my renuals since (Despite the fact that I had informed them at the time and that they told me it would be removed after 6 months!).

Am I really in the wrong here or is it possible I can win this?

Insurance company trying to backcharge me £360 - Engineer Andy

I'm not really understanding all this. If you've informed Admiral of all the incidents in full when they happened, they paid for the chipped windscreen to be replaced and there was no damage done on the rear-end accident (which must've been the fault of the following driver as a matter of course, so they cannot claim off your policy), then you surely are not at fault at all, and Admiral have no recourse to charge you anything extra.

Either (IMO) they are way in the wrong, or there's something you haven't told us or been mistaken about. If they're saying you didn't inform them about any of the incidents (or there was a difference of opinion about the accident), then they should have told you this and given you a right to respond, particularly for the first reason (a breach of the policy terms) as your policy would be voided and they might have reported you to the Police. As they've only asked for more money, I am puzzled, given your statements about informing them of both incidents in full, paid for the windscreen replacement and that you did not claim for any repairs on the second, which wasn't your fault.

Very strange indeed. I would say that your choice of profile name is not exactly condusive to getting a decent result.

Edited by Engineer Andy on 05/10/2013 at 10:52

Insurance company trying to backcharge me £360 - Bromptonaut

Used to be with Admiral until they decided my son was the major user of his mother's car. A sort of reverse fronting!!

Even a reported no claim accident can increase your premium because the metrics say if you've had one incident you're more likley to have another. You might for example regularly be passing an accident balckspot or in a dodgy bit of town. Maybee that's what Admiral are trying to say only they're being clumsy.

You need to get hold of somebody in Admiral with a degree of authority to sort stuff out. Refer to the previous calls and ask them to about their complaints procedure. Wgen you speak to the complaints handler have a shot note to refer to with dates on which you reportrd both incidents. Try again to get a clear explanation. If still not forthcoming follow up in writing.

And while you're at it get some other quotes - LV Frizell sorted me out.

Insurance company trying to backcharge me £360 - gordonbennet

Unfortunately these sorts of misunderstandings do happen now and again, you are dealing with a faceless call centre who are handling hundreds of queries a day each handler, theres bound to be a hiccup now and again, maybe a result of poor communication between cusomer and call centre operative, maybe a mistake when inputting data.

It would have helped if you had been given a reference number for each incident and made notes.

No doubt someone in a senior position can help, good luck with getting through to one.

LV i tried to give my business to, but they couldn't even manage to take my money...which was a first as even NTL at their very worst which was very very bad could manage that...so after several attempts and useless customer lack of service help we decided that maybe fate was telling us to avoid.

Agree with EA, if a spybot alerts Admiral to this thread, the username you have chosen won't exactly encourage them to help you sort this out for you.