VW Passat Estate - Coil springs - Daitooth

Having purchased a '56 SEL model in 2008 with 49K on the clock from a VW main agent, I was suprised to be told at the first MOT that one rear coil spring had broken. The car was 2 days outside its warranty period but VW, when contacted, agreed to pay half the repair cost. Subsequently, up to the present day, the other three coil springs have broken and replaced using genuine VW parts. The car has done75K, mostly motorway, the load carried being my dog.

I contacted VW customer care and contended that the springs fitted were not fit for purpose. They replied that springs were only guaranteed for 2 years.

Have other VW Passat Estate owners have had broken spring problems?

VW Passat Estate - Coil springs - skidpan

What is it with people on this forum, do they want free motoring for ever with someone else picking up the bill.

You bought a 2 year old car in 2008 and now 5 years later you want to complain. Forget it, only Kia garantee cars for 7 years, buy one of those if you want a 7 year garantee.

Must add that during that first 49000 miles the car could have been severly overloaded and abbused which has caused the problem with the springs and you would never know.

Broken springs are a common problem on the roads today, it happens.