Skoda Fabia - Should i buy this Skoda with a loose bearing? - MandaWJ

Its a 02 reg Skoda Fabia and looks great apart from the fact it has a loose bearing on the alternator and its MOT and tax are due on 1st Nov. Seller is aking 750 for it, which i suppose is a good price but i am uncertain what affect this loose bearing will have on the car, can anyone help?

Unfortunately i haven't actually driven it as i'm not insued but my mum drove it for me and she said it felt 'light' and she couldn't get the revs/clutch right. It could just be that she's not used to the car but not sure. Any advice would be great. I literally haven't a clue! Thanks :)

Skoda Fabia - Should i buy this Skoda with a loose bearing? - Armitage Shanks {p}

Can't you find an 02 Fabia which is fault free? What is a loose bearing anyway, worn, slack? If is a private sale factor in the cost of replacing the alternator, if it is from a trader get it fixed before you pay.

Skoda Fabia - Should i buy this Skoda with a loose bearing? - gordonbennet

Sounds like those optimistic ads that say aircon just needs a regas, so they advertise a faulty car that would cost £40 to make perfect, yeah right.

This car then, who's diagnosed it and why if its a loose bearing hasn't someone replaced it...or is the water pump or belt tensioner or bottom pulley breaking up or timing chain if it has one?

You need it inspected by a mechanic, ignore what the seller says.

Hi, thanks for the advice, I was thinking it might be more than just a loose bearing. It's a private sale so he knocked 100 off original price but still don't know if it's worth it. I probably won't get it as it's too risky, he actually did say it'd cost about 40 quid for the part and then there's labour on top of that.

Seller already had a mechanic look at it and he said he couldn't do anything about it straight off, he'd have to order the part in. He also said it'd only started making the noise in the last couple of days.... hmmm. I'm getting more suspicious as i type!

Skoda Fabia - Should i buy this Skoda with a loose bearing? - gordonbennet

he actually did say it'd cost about 40 quid for the part and then there's labour on top of that.

Seller already had a mechanic look at it and he said he couldn't do anything about it straight off, he'd have to order the part in. He also said it'd only started making the noise in the last couple of days

All far too convenient, wide boy from the sounds of it and best given a wide berth.

If you know nothing about cars you need someone who does to be with you, we've all been green and got our fingers burned at some point.

Yeah, i was thinking that. I'm gonna leave it. I hardly know anyone who knows about cars, might be able to a mechanic to look at one for me, though i'd prob have to pay him.

Skoda Fabia - Should i buy this Skoda with a loose bearing? - brum

Never heard of a "loose" alternator bearing on any car. You canty change them anyway - you would change the complete alternator.

Most likely on a Fabia its a worn rattling camchain - costs about £400 to change provided further damage hasnt been done.

If in doubt get your mechanic to give his verdict or just walk away.

Skoda Fabia - Should i buy this Skoda with a loose bearing? - Andrew-T

If you know nothing about cars you need someone who does to be with you, we've all been green and got our fingers burned at some point.

You are starting on the bottom rung of the car-ownership ladder, looking at 10-year-old cars costing under a grand. That's a good way to start, but as said above, you need someone to hold your hand and show you the ropes. If a 'loose bearing' is the only thing wrong with this car and you go looking for others, they are all likely to have faults somewhere - that's probably why they are cheap. Go for cars with some history or evidence of how they have been kept. A private seller may be able to tell you a lot more than a back-street dealer who has picked it up at auction, but he won't give you a warranty. But back-street traders won't agree to do much fixing for that money either.

Welcome to bangernomics ....

Skoda Fabia - Should I buy this Skoda with a loose bearing? - hillman

I've had plenty of problems with alternators but never heard of a 'loose bearing'. The noise may be something serious. Noises are very difficult to diagnose unless you are a skilled mechanic, as distinct from a DIY person. I think you should move on.