Best MPG automatic - the.bloke

Hi All

During the period while my loved 504 cab was repaired after a lady could not find enough space in 7m to reverse and damaged the door, I was given to drive a Nissan Micra 2013 auto. I have not driven any new cars for a long time, specially an automatic.

I discovered that £30 of fuel would drive me 2 1/2 more than my 33 yo car. But the biggest surprise was the auto in town. Small engine, still rather nippy at a traffic light. And no change of gear while my normal return journey would need at least 100. And last, how quiet the car was. It had a gadget which tell you when you are approaching a speed camera. Fun. You might be used to it, but for me, it was new and fun. And made my dives more relaxing. And being rather tall, its driving position was good with its seat adjustment.

So, cheap to run and easy to drive and rather quiet. That's what I am looking for.

I've checked the 10 best small car in HJ, and the Micra comes last. I do not like at all the look of the Hyundai. And when a manual returns up to 80 mpg, an auto rarely goes above 50 mpg. That's what I got from the Micra 2013.

Any other subjections on a choice for a nearly new car with a +50 mpg in automatic with few of the plus mention above?

Thanks

TB

Best MPG automatic - Ethan Edwards

Yes -Yaris Hybrid. It's a petrol automatic that regularly gives me over 60 plus mpg with ease. All Hybrids are auto's aren't they?

Best MPG automatic - HandCart

Honda CRZ has a manual box.

Best MPG automatic - Ed V

I'd have thought some of the main guys' economical cars would do nowadays, the "blue motions" and "e-drives" of this world.

Best MPG automatic - unthrottled

It all depends what sort of driving you do. The hybrid concept only really shines in low speed driving when using the engine directly would put it in a very inefficient operating point.

If you average under 30mph, the hybrids rule supreme. Above 40mph, diesel canes hybrid in terms of outright efficiency. The diesel engine is fundamentally more efficient and you're driving the wheels directly without paying a cut to the middleman. The differing chacteristics accoustics/driving style are of course subjective.

Best MPG automatic - TeeCee

Depends on the hybrid.

Both the Toyota/Lexus and Honda ones will drive the wheels directly from the engine with no intervening bits. Also, if the engine is producing more power than is strictly necessary to move the vehicle, they'll scavenge the excess to the battery for use when required.

I'm not sure that there are any pure parallel hybrids out there right now, where the motor is disconnected from the drivetrain and acts only on a generator, which is what you're alluding to.

The best approach in theory would be a diesel/electric, series/parallel hybrid. However, the frequent short use engine cycles required for that to be effective have been given the kibosh by mandatory DPFs. Even the petrol/electric ones are hamstrung by the legal requirement to keep the catalytic converter up to operating temperature, which obliges them to run the engine more than is strictly necessary, especially in colder weather.

Best MPG automatic - unthrottled

Both the Toyota/Lexus and Honda ones will drive the wheels directly from the engine with no intervening bits.

Yes, but the charge in the battery ultimately comes from the fuel in the tank via the engine. Some people go to great lengths to try to extend the EV range-which is silly. Sure it feels virtuous cruising round with the engine off, but you're still using fuel albeit indirectly.

Diesel hybrid is too much weight and expense for too little gain. Diesels have a much broader operating range so hybridising doesn't yield the same results with petrol. Diesels are also harder to start smoothly. A hybrid diesel would work very well with DPF because it's the near idle conditions that clog it up-and this operating range is (almost) eliminated with hybrid.