Green lanes (regulations) - rogue-trooper

I was just wondeing, is there a set of regulations that covers the use of Green Lanes, somewhat like the Hghway Code? Reason being is that one quite close to me is blighted by scrambler bikes every weekend.

Green lanes (regulations) - Bromptonaut

A starting point might be the County or Unitary Council's definitive rights of way map and it's Rights of Way team. IIRC there are several different types of Green Lane with different access rights for all traffic, horses and cycles etc.

Some authorities have been reviewing old highways and stopping up vehiclaur access where it's a problem.

Green lanes (regulations) - RT

There is legislation under the Road Traffic Acts that makes it an endorseable offence to take any motor vehicle more than 15 yards from the public highway without lawful authority.

I think the issue is the definition of public highway which has evolved over 100s of years, ie long before motor vehicles were invented.

Green lanes (regulations) - mss1tw

As a fan of trail riding I will point out obviously it is always the irresponsble idiots that spoil things and draw the most attention.

Although they are 'off-road' they still need to be insured, taxed, and MOT'd, so if in doubt contact Plod.

Also it may be worth contacting the Trail Riders Fellowship as they work hard to stop ****s like this ruining greenlanes for everyone (Not just other bikers)

Green lanes (regulations) - craig-pd130

As a fan of trail riding I will point out obviously it is always the irresponsble idiots that spoil things and draw the most attention.

Quite so. I have a bike myself but it makes me wince when I see the odd rider on a trailbike with aftermarket noisy exhaust heading out on lanes and trails. Much as I love the sound of a single-cylinder 2-stroke or 4-stroke with a rorty pipe, I know I'm in the minority.

Thankfully most groups around here are on well-silenced machines.

Green lanes (regulations) - NARU

There is legislation under the Road Traffic Acts that makes it an endorseable offence to take any motor vehicle more than 15 yards from the public highway without lawful authority.

A BOAT is public highway?

Green lanes (regulations) - NARU

From wikipedia:

In England & Wales, a Byway Open to All Traffic (BOAT) is a highway over which the public have a right of way for vehicular and all other kinds of traffic but which is used by the public mainly for the purposes for which footpaths and bridleways are used (ie walking, cycling or horse riding). (United Kingdom Road Traffic Regulation Act 1984, section 15(9)(c), as amended by Road Traffic (Temporary Restrictions) Act 1991, Schedule 1). Byways account for less than 2% of England's unsurfaced Rights of Way network, the remainder being footpaths and bridleways.

I believe the entry is correct.

I have a list of the BOATs in my county. I've driven, walked and cycled a number of them, but would only drive them when they were dry, so as not to cause them damage.

I would suggest you check the status of your green lane. If its one of the 98% then your first call is probably the neighbourhood team at the police. If it is a BOAT, then I'd still ring them - the bikes still need to be road legal, with insurance etc - they might like to do some checking!

Edited by Marlot on 13/05/2013 at 17:23

Green lanes (regulations) - rogue-trooper

Thanks, will look through things.

They have basically relocated from an area which is known as a common (but isn't and is privately owned) that has a bridal way and is an SSSI. The owners ask them to leave when they turn up, so the Green Lane is the next place to go. Most, but not all, of the bikes are unlicensed (and it is interesting how they get to where they are going as you can only get their by road). To be honest I'd rather they stay on the green lane than the common, so might let it be for the time being!!!!