Acronyms - Shigg
This may sound boring but I'm finding acronyms harder to tolerate. I know they make messages easier to construct and maybe more fun but unless you're aware of the abbreviation and implied meaning they can difficult to follow. In these threads LOL is used often but sometimes it's hard to know if the author of the message means Lots Of Love or Laughs Out Loud. I guess that also requires insight into the authors personality. As for the argument for good English, I won't even go there!
What do you think?

Steve.
Acronyms - Phil G
www.acronymfinder.com

Get with the program!
Acronyms - Dynamic Dave
Previously discussed, and offers of sites that let you know what the acronym stands for

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?v=i&t=75...7
Acronyms - Shigg
OK, TLAs rule!

Steve.
Acronyms - RichL
OK, TLAs rule!
Steve.

ETLAs are better!

TTFN!
Acronyms - FFX-DM
well AFAIK and IMHO I think acronyms are OK.

SSDD!

:-)
Acronyms - Shigg
SSDD?
Sounds like a very large bra size or a exotic sports car!
Am I allowed to put that?

Steve.
Acronyms - Vin {P}
I agree. And what's more, it's taking over the world. When you receive your first job application with telephone text spelling (which my brother did) it's time to get out the shotgun and finish yourself off.

Oooh, it makes my blood boil, it does. Save a second typing and cost a minute while the recipient deciphers what in the name of Jim Bowen you are trying to say.

Where's that jumbo pack of paracetamol?

V
Acronyms - Shigg
There's not much I can say in the face of overwhelming odds. But as a IT Technician I find all this geek speak, etc. a right pain in the a***! Personally I find it to be stuff of cliques or people that have elitist delusions.
I suppose I could be outcast from the forum for that but hey I've always have a contrary streak, why stop now?

Steve.
Acronyms - frostbite

Be very thankful those stupid 'smilies' haven't crept onto this system yet !
Acronyms - Shigg
Well we do have emoticons (?) What more can a person want from life? I'd like to know (still maybe not!) how many people on forums show more (implied) emotion than they do in real life? I'd like to bet some men never show this amount of emotion to their nearest and dearest, oh sorry SWMBO (she who must be obeyed)!

Steve.
Acronyms - HF
I think emoticons are really useful on the net. Since we can't see or hear each other, at least they allow us to imply whether we're joking, pleased, or upset (and many others).

Net conversations are *so* open to misinterpretation, it's really helpful to add the occasional ;) (or whatever) to clarify your meaning.
HF
Acronyms - smokie
Why did I think of this little rhyme?

2 y's U R
2 y's U B
I C U R
2 y's 4 me
Acronyms - HF
The origins of acronyms?

So they're not so modern after all, all they?

Equally appropriate in the nostalgia thread, Smokie ;)
HF
Acronyms - BrianW
HF
Even back in my schooldays, way before your parents even met, there was the "hungry horse" joke/teaser or whatever, MTGG.

Brian
Still learning (I hope)
Acronyms - Mark (RLBS)
Enough, please.

Motoring or the Silly Thread.

Thank you.