DODGY ZETEC!!!! - stevie nicks
Hi, Could someone give any more ideas on how to cure this knocking noise on my mondeo zetec 1.6. First time i start it from cold, it sounds like there is a lack of oil, done the engine flush and replaced oil with 5/w30 but it is still happening. Has anyone else had this problem with their cars? I'd be happy if it sounded smooth when i first started it, but this has not been the case for the last 12 months nearly......desperately seeking help here........
DODGY ZETEC!!!! - Dynamic Dave
What's the mileage of the vehicle?

Dare I mention that there could be a problem with the hydraulic lifters, thus making your tappets rattle until the lifters are re-primed with oil?
the car is a 1993(L), just had compression tests and the head re bored so i dont know if that is a problem, shouldn't think so though
And the mileage is?

The compression test won't detect worn lifters - unless the lifters are siezed in such a way that the valves are left open.

Interesting that you mention you've had a rebore. After the garage replaced the head gasket on my old Cavalier, the tappets started rattling on start up until the hydraulic lifters refilled with oil. The garage refused to accept the blame for it, so I ended up changing them myself. I found out afterwards through a Vauxhall friend of mine that they probably just left the H/L's on the workbench while they sent the head away for machining, as it was warped. What they should have done was to have put them in a container of oil to keep them wet. Over the 7 days they were left out, the oil drained from them and the seals dried out. Also probably picked up loads of workshop grime and dust while they were left lying around waiting to be refitted.

If the noise is only there on start-up, then the earlier suggestions to your other post (loose cambelt/incorrect oil filter) could also be valid.
Why do I get a feeling of Deja vu about this thread?
the milage is 125k which i think is not to bad for a car of this year, i will fit a filter with a non-return valve and see if this makes a difference......cheers mate
or i might just flog it!.........