04, Puddle in footwell. - UncleR
Following the torrential rain over the last 24 hours, I noticed a small puddle in the front passenger footwell of my 2004 E46 BMW Touring. It has happened once before when it was parked for a week, again during heavy rain. It's rained plenty of other times without it happening though.

I tried to feel around the sides of the carpet to trace the 'flow' but couldn't seem to find any other wet patches other than the puddle on the floor.

I don't have a sunroof.

How do I go about sorting this? Any known weakspots I should check? Or is the only option to get the missus to hold a running hose over the car until I see some water appearing (which might be quite a while...)?

Thanks

Edited by Pugugly {P} on 10/10/2007 at 19:53

Puddle in footwell - 2004 BMW - Ritch T
How do I go about sorting this? Any known weakspots I should check? Or is
the only option to get the missus to hold a running hose over the car
until I see some water appearing (which might be quite a while...)?

Had a similar problem with mine and it turns out to be the bottom of the door seal on the rear door - have you checked that?
Puddle in footwell - 2004 BMW - UncleR
My puddle is in the front passenger footwell - although I don't really know how to check the front seals (apart from any obvious splits).
Puddle in footwell - 2004 BMW - Carse
Has you car been serviced recently, a poorly re-fitted pollen filter can give the issue you are reporting on a lot of vehicles.

Carse
Puddle in footwell - 2004 BMW - Falkirk Bairn
My son's 2003 car suffered lots of water in the front (gallons when it rained) - it was a split in the bulkhead and required a bodyshop to strip out quite a bit in the engine bay to get access.

Welded it up - £300 and he got shot of the car ASAP as there was a lingering smell of foul water. The poor service by the BMW garage added to his concerns and they washed their hands of it despite being only months out of warranty and the 3rd party cover he had did not cover such faults.
Puddle in footwell - 2004 BMW - UncleR
Haven't had it serviced in a while.

Obviously can't rule it out but like to think it isn't as drastic as a split bulkhead (presumably, in the case quoted, caused by accident damage). Why do I always leave this forum worrying more than when I came?!? (no offence..)

Puddle dried up really quickly so not too worried but would still welcome any advice on how I can work out where the water is coming from as we approach a wet winter.
Puddle in footwell - 2004 BMW - Falkirk Bairn
Obviously can't rule it out but like to think it isn't as drastic as a
split bulkhead (presumably in the case quoted caused by accident damage). Why do I always
leave this forum worrying more than when I came?!? (no offence..)

Split bulkhead was not an accident - car bought new and no accidents - believed to be the twsting/flexing action caused it -
Puddle in footwell - 2004 BMW - adverse camber
I thought I'd seen this (bulkhead issues) as a known issue with these?
Puddle in footwell - 2004 BMW - SS069
I experience the same problem in my 2000/X E46 Tourer, I put some black insulation tape on the black trim at the bottom of the screen (the one with the rubber seal on it) it seemed to cure the problem.

Worth a try as it will cost you nothing to do, not a solution I know, but little help never the less
Puddle in footwell - 2004 BMW - Rich320d
Footwell leaks on the E46 are often caused by a detatched weather membrane behind the interior door trim.

Its a grey foam sheet that is glued to the door frame with butyl rubber sealant, it allows access into the door, to the locks, window regulator etc, but needs to be sealed or any water entering the door might leak out into the interior rather than out through the drain holes in the door bottom.

The sealant often dries out over the years allowing the sheet to detatch and then water in. The telltale is water sitting on top of the door seal rubber, its coming from under the door card/trim.

Get the door card off to fix it. The sealant is on sale in Aquatic centres/ebay etc.
Puddle in footwell - 2004 BMW - Optimist
I had a car that did that for the same reason but only when parked nose downhill. Harder to trace. Maybe replace the door card too.