Specs Camera Exeter Services - chukter
Could somebody please confirm if one contacts the local Police Authority to contest a camera NIP and whether the specs camera operating near Exeter Services is programmed at 50 mph (Speed in slip road from the services) or 70 mph for the motorway section within the camera checking section ??

Thanks for any help.
Specs Camera Exeter Services - MichaelR
The 50mph speed limit on that section of the M5 applies to BOTH the sliproad AND the main carriageway.
Specs Camera Exeter Services - Peter D
Also ask this on www.Pepipoo.com Regards Peter
Thanks for your replies - the reason I ask this question is that my son was flashed this morning, he observed the 50 mph limit down the slip road and is positive that at the end of the slip road there was no sign whatsoever to inform anybody that the motorway section was still within the 50 mph restriction.
Specs Camera Exeter Services - borasport20
He was flashed ? - so where do Specs come into this ?

Specs Camera Exeter Services - Armitage Shanks {p}
I think that the M Way might be still within the 50 unless there was a derestriction sign showing the end of the 50. As Borasport says - Specs don't flash.
Specs Camera Exeter Services - LeePower
Specs cameras dont flash, more likely the reflection of headlights bouncing back off the lens.
Specs Camera Exeter Services - BobbyG
As mentioned , SPECS don't flash.

Also, if the speed limit on the slip road was 50mph, then that is the speed limit until there is a sign saying differently. It doesn't automatically increase to 70mph unless there are signs saying that.
Specs Camera Exeter Services - LeePower
Got a stretch of road round the corner from me with Specs cameras on, They do look like they are flashing but its nothing but either the sunlight or car headlights & the way you look at the cameras as you pass under them.
Specs Camera Exeter Services - Hamsafar
Yes, in Nottingham they can appear to flash, but I think it's due to having a pane of flat glas mounted in them.
BTW, I think they can cover two lanes now, or will do very soon. What a coincidence that all the papers recently ran stories saying they only worked in one lane and changing lanes would evade them, and now I have watched them on the A6514 calibrating them in both lanes, a job I have seen them previously do around five times in the right lane only.
Specs Camera Exeter Services - Martin Devon
Instead of keeping to the speed limits, (some are correct and some are patently not) then perhaps for a week we should all drive at 40mph on the motorways and maybe less on A roads.

Sick to death of fundraising tripe that doesn't do what the grey men said it is for. My ol' Dad never said it would be like this.

Your truly **something** right off with the UK. Was my Country once. But of course that was when people said Please and Thank you and you didn't get knifed for saying Good morning to a stranger!

Yours truly...................................MD.
Specs Camera Exeter Services - MichaelR
If he was leaving the services and rejoining the Northbound Carriageway immediatly before the A30 junction then AFAIK the 50 limit ends there anywhere and he's fine.
Specs Camera Exeter Services - PoloGirl
The specs cameras were covered when we went through on Friday and again yesterday afternoon. In any case they don't flash, and you'd contest it with the local safety camera partnership, not the police authority. Best to wait and see rather than raise the blood pressure prematurely.

(And, brave son - I'd never admit any motoring misadventures to my dad unless I had to!)

Specs Camera Exeter Services - mark
News article about this junction and the cameras here

tinyurl.com/yknqnn

HTH

As always

Mark
Specs Camera Exeter Services - Martin Devon
(And, brave son - I'd never admit any motoring misadventures to
my dad unless I had to!)
If that refers to me PG I had no choice...He was a Boy in Blue!

First speeding offence 1975 yamaha RD350 nicked by a P6 3500 Rover..Gutted........Never told my mates.

All the best for the new year......MD.
Thanks once again for your updates, - I sincerely hope you are correct MichaelR, as he left the services area via the slip road and is positive there was no signage at all to indicate that the 50 mph limit was applicable on the motorway section prior to the cameras. Fingers crossed.

Polo Girl - the reason my son "dared" to mention the incident to me, is that I currently have more wretched points than him .!!!!!!!!!!
Specs Camera Exeter Services - sir_hiss
I can't comment on the slip-road section but can confirm that the M5 Exeter motorway section is a bit odd, drove through eastbound this afternoon. There are 3 sets of SPECS (in pairs) which means there are 2 zones. The 2nd zones seems to straddle the 50 and national speed limit as camera pair 2 is in the 50 zone and i'm sure pair 3 is in the national limit. Maybe the 50 limit is to be extended shortly or its possible zone 2 is not operational yet? Unless the powers that be have had SPECS recently re-approved, its only valid if the vehicle enters and exits the zone in the same lane. I now always change lanes after entering each SPECS zone even though I may not be speeding just to wind them up!
Specs Camera Exeter Services - Mapmaker
What exactly is the problem with obeying the speed limit? We live in Britain, and as a part of the benefits of living in this (until 1997) wonderful country, we agree to obey by the laws. If the speed limit is set at 50, then why is it so difficult to drive at 50. Most of us manage it.

Were I to be caught speeding, I should be blushing far too much to admit it to anybody; let alone to the entire world on the 'net.

The whole point of the original question was the slip road exit from the services was clearly signed at 50mph and there was absolutely no signage to indicate that this same limit was continuing on the M5 section prior to the camera location.
Specs Camera Exeter Services - David Horn
Drove though last night - believe the reason the confusion occurs is because the sign reinstating the normal speed limit is parallel to the sliproad on the main carriageway, and on the off-side, small, and with blue writing.

I saw it, accelerated back to to 70, then panicked because everyone else was doing 50mph still. However, I'm sure that's the end of the 50 limit as there were no more speed limit signs.
Specs Camera Exeter Services - Devonboy78
As the other thread on this subject ( tinyurl.com/2z8qq ) has been locked, even though the original question hasn't been answered yet, I will hijack this one (!) to ask it - do you avoid getting caught if you are in a different lane to the one you were in when first monitored by the system? DB.
Specs Camera Exeter Services - horse
Yes, as things stand. Applies to each camera pair, if there is more than one measuring distance, then you would have to do it each time for each one. Home office don't need legislation to change this, so could do it at any time.