Audi A4 supplimentary heater - Roly93
Can anyone help me with the following question ?
I have a 2004 A4 Turbo Diesel.
In the instructions manual it talks of an auxiliary heater which is an option and burns fuel to provide heat at low temperatures before the engine is warm. The manual also stated that ALL turbo diesel models have a 'supplimentary heater' which provides warmth independant of the engine temp, when the coolant temp is below a certain level. Now I dont think my car has an auxiliary heater, but is it supposed to have the supplimentary heater which I believe is elecrically powered ? This is supposed to be automatic when the climate control is set to AUTO.
If so I have detected no evidence of such a heater during the current spell of cold weather.
Audi A4 supplimentary heater - Screwloose
Roly

You should have what are, in effect, electric immersion heaters in your heater hoses. They're certainly shown as standard fitment on the wiring diagram.

Modern diesels just don't produce enough heat when running slowly to keep a heater supplied; so power-sapping electric "glow-plugs" in the hoses are almost standard now.

Fuel-burning "Eberspacher type" auxiliary rear heaters are optional on many diesel cars; but usually are only actually found on people carriers and the like.
Audi A4 supplimentary heater - Glaikit Wee Scunner {P}
My 2001 Passat diesel does indeed produce slightly warm air after 20 seconds or so from cold. You can feel it most easily from the dashboard vents if you select them.I assume it is meant to help with the demist when AUTO is selected.
--
I wasna fu but just had plenty.
Audi A4 supplimentary heater - MoneyMart
Mine has it - 2004 A4 Tdi

Starts to blow warm within 60 seconds or so from cold...
Audi A4 supplimentary heater - Roly93
Thanks for your replies, I did a test this morning as it was -1 degree. I started the car and left ticking over in the drive, after 30 seconds I was getting quite warm air from the face level vents, so this proves the system does work.