What are those . . . - dimdip
. . . little black diamond, square, triangle etc on a yellow background on direction signs for? Ask three different people and you get three different answers, so i thought i would ask here to get the true answer! Thanks.
What are those . . . - geoffken
Various advised diversion routes for accidents.
Dependent on place of accident there may have to be more than one route diversion.

I think
What are those . . . - Tom Shaw
In road systems which may be confusing they are used to make it easier to follow a route to a certain direction, as you just have to follow a particular symbol rather than keep reading the destination board.
What are those . . . - dimdip
Who for though Tom? Haulage companies?
What are those . . . - Boff
I thought they marked routes for military convoys, may be wrong though..

Boff
What are those . . . - CliveT
According to the highway code they are Symbols showing emergency diversion route for motorway and other main road traffic
What are those . . . - PatriciaX
We have 'em in Leeds when a new building is built, such as the Royal Armories, until they could get the new real road signs up and until people realised exactly where the building was.

You'd get a sporadic notice saying "For Royal Armories follow *" and then several * along the route.

We also get it for termporary directions for local pop-festivals, such as Glastonbury. "For Music Event, follow*" and the like.

Patricia
x