Jaguar X-Type Estate - Who Owns The Road? - RaineMan

Decades before I moved here there was infill building behind the row of houses (semis and small terraces) on the open land behind. The council built two blocks of two storey pensioner flats. Since I moved here people have come along the service road to park at the bottom of their back gardens on short drives or in garages, as door mirrors, etc. are at risk on the main road out front.. Anyway the cash strapped council (although happy to waste a fortune on irrelevant jobs and pointless projects) have now come up with a cash generating wheeze! They have decided deiced that non-council tenants (the properties are now a mix of council and ex-council\) should pay an access charge over their land (the road) at higher rate than resident's parking permits nearer the centre. Google says the road is a public highway so whilst the council have to maintain it do they have any right to make it a toll road for some?

Jaguar X-Type Estate - Who Owns The Road? - daveyjp

Access charges are common, think congestion charges, clean air zones, bridge and tunnel tolls etc etc

To enable the charge and sanctions for non payment there needs to be a traffic regulation order in place which needs to go through due process, advertise, receive objections, address objections etc etc so I would contact the Council asking for the TRO for the access road charges.

This may also be available online.

Jaguar X-Type Estate - Who Owns The Road? - Adampr

What happens if you don't pay?

Jaguar X-Type Estate - Who Owns The Road? - Brit_in_Germany

Are you a tenant or do you own your property? If the latter, the deeds might include provisions providing you with rights of vehicular access. If you are a tenant, maybe worth having a word with the landlord.

Jaguar X-Type Estate - Who Owns The Road? - daveyjp

OP has stated its a public highway maintainable at public expense, so vehicular access right is a given.