Insurance Claim Cancellation. - C88

Hi

My car was stolen 10 days ago and insurance claim processed.

Received confirmation of the payment on Saturday and advised this will be paid in 5 days from the dated letter.

Police recovered the vehicle late Saturday evening and is being forensically examined.

Advised insurers today who have stated that the claim is processed and the car is legally thiers. They will not be returning the vehicle to ourselves.

No monies received to date.

Can I legally challenge this?

Thanks in advance.

Insurance Claim Cancellation. - Middleman

Did you formally accept their offer of settlement (which will usually include you agreeing that, should the vehicle be recovered, it becomes the property of your insurers)?

I must say that ten days seems a very rapid turn round to settle your claim.

Insurance Claim Cancellation. - C88

After some haggling the offer was formally accepted but had assumed (wrongly?) that if recovered the car would be returned, if payment not received.

I was surprised at the settlement too, claim logged on the 7th and confirmation of payment on the 17th.

Unfortunate timing that the police recovered the vehicle on the same day as confirmation letter

Edited by C88 on 18/03/2024 at 16:02

Insurance Claim Cancellation. - Middleman

But were you told (and accepted) that the vehicle would become the property of the insurers in the event it was recovered?

Insurance Claim Cancellation. - Terry W

Do you want the car back - even if superficially undamaged, the mechanical bits could have been trashed. If you accept it back you have no way to claim for this hidden damage,

Insurance Claim Cancellation. - Adampr

They will probably sell you the car back for less than the settlement if you really want it, but it will be recorded as a write off.

Insurance Claim Cancellation. - RaineMan

The problem is if you buy it back now and it is recorded as a write-off you will probably only get sc*** value in the event of any claim including if someone drives into you. Best to learn from the experience.