Renault Clio - Goodwill gesture not paid - malct

In January i had my car front brake discs and pads replaced at a body repair shop who also does servicing Brakes and the likes , But mainly accident repairs.

The garage charged me £140 to supply and fir the discs and pads which i was happy about.

A few days after they were fitting , My wife reported a knocking noise from the front left wheel So we called out the RAC who then told me that the front wheel nuts had not been tighten and a big risk of the front wheels could come off.

I took Video footage of the RAC engineer tightening the front wheel and the engineer gave a commentary on what he found and that he was having to tighten the wheel nuts up.

The RAC Engineer told me that i had to report the matter back to the garage which i did.

After showing the body repair shop owner the footage , He asked for a copy to that he could show the person who had charged the discs and pads and the owner told me that he would give me a full refund as a gesture of goodwill.

Its now 5 months later and i have had nothing, We did have email correspondence and he told me that he had sacked the guy who worked on my car and he asked for my bank details and this was in February, Since that I have sent him emails but no reply.

Last Wednesday i sent him another email stating that i would be happy if he gave me £65 which would cover the labour and that i was happy to pay for the parts, Still no reply.

I am not so keen on confrontation, , Any thoughts ?

End of the day , If the wheel had come off the car , My wife could have had a bad accident, Regards the guy getting sacked, I only have his word on that , I still have the video evidence if i wanted to post it somewhere, But i am not the type of person to do that..

There is a good chance that he is going through hard times and had a change of heart, I have asked him what's happening , It would have been better if he was just honest with me.

Any thoughts

Renault Clio - Goodwill gesture not paid - elekie&a/c doctor
Forget about it . Thank yourself lucky the wheel never came off . Move on . How much time can you spend trying to recover £65 . ?
Renault Clio - Goodwill gesture not paid - malct

Guess your right, I have used the garage many times, But i won't in the future.

Renault Clio - Goodwill gesture not paid - Andrew-T

Guess you're right, I have used the garage many times, But i won't in the future.

As nothing untoward has resulted from the garage's oversight, I should think the best outcome would be for you to report to them what happened, expressing your dissatisfaction without any threat of legal action. If they are reasonable you may get an offer of a free service and they may tighten things up (not the wheel bolts of course).

Personally - having myself failed to tighten wheel nuts many many moons ago - I don't believe they could loosen as far as a wheel falling off without the driver stopping to investigate the terrible noise.

Renault Clio - Goodwill gesture not paid - bathtub tom

I lost a wheel off a caravan once and didn't notice anything untoward until it went walkabout.

Renault Clio - Goodwill gesture not paid - galileo

I lost a wheel off a caravan once and didn't notice anything untoward until it went walkabout.

But you weren't in the caravan at the time, I think you'd notice a car wheel being loose.

I once had a front wheel bearing break up and that definitely got my attention.

Renault Clio - Goodwill gesture not paid - Clk GD

One of the front wheels came off my Herald Coupe following a service way back in the late 60s. As noisy as it was with the wheel nuts rattling around in the hub cap, there was insufficient time for me to bring the car to a halt before the wheel came adrift. It went off in a straight line at a speed somewhat faster than my legs would carry me, before toppling over a couple of hundred yards away.

Fortunately, not much traffic on the road at that time, and nothing coming in the opposite direction.

Renault Clio - Goodwill gesture not paid - Andrew-T

<< It went off in a straight line at a speed somewhat faster than my legs would carry me, before toppling over a couple of hundred yards away. >>

You surprise me. Of course cars were noisier in the old days, so maybe the warnings were obscured ... :-)

I understand that my F-i-L was overtaken by his own rear wheel some time around 1930 in California. The road was probably straight, so the wheel may have travelled for some distance.

Renault Clio - Goodwill gesture not paid - Miniman777

One of my local tyre fitting shops asks you to sign a document saying you understand it is your responsibility to check the tightness of the nuts after 25 and 50 miles.

Any right minded driver would. Never assume.....