Mercedes-Benz B-Class - Turbo Charger Failure and dispute - Markebe
Hiya, can anyone advise on my rights and beet approach please
I have Mercedes Bclass 180 1.5 cdi, in march 2019 my turbo charger blew on my car and the RAC recovered to their approved garage. It was faulty turbo due to starvation of oil.
I had to buy a new turbocharger at a cost of £555 and fitted. Total cost £1100.
My invoice for the work dated 27/3/2019
On around the 19/20th april 2021 my turbo has failed again! The car has been serviced properly as per the manufacturers guidelines and done around 16k miles.
I was told i had to take back yo the garage Savoy auto centre and i paid the £100 recovery.
The turbo was taken off checked and sent to bbc car parts who were sending off to SCM turbo for warranty inspection report, the date of purchase of turbo from them 18/3/19
The report has come back as failed due to abrasive particles and rejected warranty. The turbo is a borg warner and the report does not show serial no?
Scm turbo sell new and reman!
Bbc autoparts asked for cost of repair £320 +vat , i told the garage to get me back the charger i will source one from a breaker.
The turbo was sent back to bbc who posted to garage and the turbo is clean and looks newish?!?
So i have asked wheres the serial number plate?
I have spoken with scm who say that they cleaned to get a quote for repair? Why?
The have also said that every turbo is stamped with a job number, the one sent back under warranty and the one i
have do not match? I have asked again for the original borg warner serial number?
Any advice on my legal standpoint and what I can do to get all this investigated? I think my original charger i bought was a reman and not brand new

Edited by Markebe on 24/04/2021 at 10:32

Mercedes-Benz B-Class - Turbo Charger Failure and dispute - craig-pd130

How old is the car?

It's possible the people you bought the replacement turbo from back in 2019 might have sent a refurbished turbo rather than a new one, could be a simple mistake.

But the most likely cause of failure is the oil feed pipe to the turbo is part-blocked, which means the turbo bearing isn't getting the lubrication it needs. Was the oil feed pipework changed when the original turbo died back in 2019? If it wasn't, a repeat failure was inevitable.

Mercedes-Benz B-Class - Turbo Charger Failure and dispute - Markebe
The car is 2013. I bought private sale in 2018 and turbo failed due to lack of oil.
At the time of failure it was confirmed by the garage that the RAC recovered to as there approved garage.
What bought I was advised it was a new turbo not remanufactured, hence paying £555
The garage told me oil feed pipe replaced also
My paperwork says replacement turbo and charged me for new borg warner.

The brand new charger has failed just within the 2 year warranty, the same whining noise as though starvation of oil. Garage who did original work said we will inspect the failure and send back to supplier that they bought charger from under warranty.
The inspection report states abrasive particles in the lubrication system. Warranty rejected.. no serial numbers and just says ‘new’ on serial number.
The charger which I have been advised that I bought new in 2019 has been sent back but is different to the picture on the report. All cleaned up ?!?
The report shows it in bits all dirty and they have returned all cleaned up again no serial numbers.

Speaking to turbo company they are saying all turbos have job number stamped on the housing, my job number on report is different to job number on returned faulty turbo

Nobody is accepting that something is wrong?
Paperwork does not match up and the original turbo supplied I think was a reman and not new but they all saying ‘No’ it was new, the garage, the car part company and turbo company!
My car has been serviced properly and done 16k miles on what I believe to be a new charger

Edited by Markebe on 25/04/2021 at 02:31