Unwinding a car purchase - dealer sold my part-ex - Simon Balfe

Hi there

Recently purchased a used VW from a VW dealer, utilising all the lockdown terms - remote viewing, 7 day return policy etc. Purchase included a part exchange. I noticed a couple of issues with the vehicle which I flagged by phone within an hour or two of leaving the dealer, and raised the possibility of returning the vehicle. After some discussions over next day or two, I decided to return the car. However the dealer had already moved my part ex on and is currently saying there is no way to retrieve it. I am being offered the part ex value of the car, but will be without a vehicle.

I know this is pretty unusual with Covid etc. Any advice on my legal rights here? Can I force the dealer to provide me with a replacement or the full value of the car equivalent to the cost to replace? b***** inconvenient all round, and partly my fault for being a picky so and so.

Thanks for any advice.

Unwinding a car purchase - dealer sold my part-ex - sammy1

The only practical thing I can suggest is for the dealer to find you an alternative car of equal value or ask him to put right the issues on the car which you have rejected.

The VW dealership presumably as terms and condition of distance selling and I would advise you to get in touch with the manager. It does seem daft that they can or have moved your car on before any returns policy has expired and the deal is "solid" As you say you are now out of pocket and the dealer should somehow put you back to where you started. A loan car perhaps until they can find you something or while you wait for the car you purchased to be made good I presume the car is under a warranty??

Unwinding a car purchase - dealer sold my part-ex - Palcouk

Your only legal rights are to return the car for a full refund, for the net cost, to you, of that car. Your p/x is a separate and legally unconnected transaction.