Sold a car overseas - jenster19

I recently sold my car to an Italian buyer. Payment was received ok in the bank, buyer never saw the car, transporter collected it then a few days later the buyer emailed a pic of the car saying it had arrived etc. Now he has contacted us asking for a copy of my ID to register it, saying this is a requirement. Really reluctant to do this, does it sound like a scam. Keen to hear people's views on it. As far as I'm concerned, car has been sold and registered as exported with DVLA, he has all of the paperwork so why does he need my ID??

Sold a car overseas - tourantass

I would tread very carefully. the funds may have landed in your bank but they can still be clawed back by your bank if the buyer decides to stop the transfer now he has the car.

thanks for your reply, when the funds were sent, we made sure it was from a legitimate bank in italy and that funds were cleared. When we had confirmation of clearance we took the money out. The transaction stated Advice Confirms which apparently can't be transferred

Sold a car overseas - Warning

You could contact the Italian embassy. See what they say.

good idea, thanks :)

Sold a car overseas - focussed

It's a mandatory feature of registering cars in Europe that copies of ID documents, passports etc have to be produced to register vehicles. I sold our Civic to a local buyer here in France and the same procedure is de rigeur along with a lot of other stuff.

Only in slack sloppy UK can you rock up and register a vehicle without proving your ID.

Yeh I get that, but it is the Italian that is registering the car that he bought from us in the UK. We have sold a number of vehicles to Europe and never had this as a request. Surely as he has all the relevant paperwork as proof of sale etc why would 'my' ID be required when all of of my details are on the car paperwork

Sold a car overseas - glidermania

Id have thought all he'd need apart from registration docs which show previous UK registration is a certificate of conformity.

Id be VERY reluctant to provide any ID direct to the buyer. Why didnt he ask for this as part of the sale? If you have to, Id only send ID direct to the relevant Italian registration authority and not the buyer.

thanks and I totally agree, he has sent documents across in Italian which I am able to translate, he claims that he needs our info to prove the car isn't new - rubbish!! If he insists then we will send it direct to the officials as you say and send across a letter in Italian stating that we are no longer the legal owner of the vehicle and it was sold to him etc on x date.

Sold a car overseas - focussed

Yeh I get that, but it is the Italian that is registering the car that he bought from us in the UK. We have sold a number of vehicles to Europe and never had this as a request. Surely as he has all the relevant paperwork as proof of sale etc

why would 'my' ID be required when all of of my details are on the car paperwork

But the fact that your details are on the car paperwork doesn't "prove" your ID to the Italian registration authorities does it?

Proving who you are by producing an ID card is normal in European countries, as the UK does not have ID cards I suggest you email your contact a black and white copy of the picture page of your passport.

We had to show our UK passports to validate a cheque in a supermarket until we got french resident's ID cards.

The car is due to be registered in his name, not ours, he has all of the paperwork stating we sold it to him, so if he wants to register it in Italy he can do that with his ID - not ours.

I've lived all over Europe and have never had this requirement when registering an imported vehicle.

Sold a car overseas - Ethan Edwards

Presumably the OPs car was RHD and in Italy they use LHD. Odd that someone felt the need to buy a used car Presumably sight unseen with the wheel on the wrong side . Even more odd they feel a pressing need for another persons ID. Sorry but to me this smells of a scam. Identity theft and the old foreign currency clawback from the bank. Hope I'm wrong.

Sold a car overseas - Bromptonaut

Our own bureaucracy has its mysteries. Those in another country are something else.

It might be a scam but equally Italy might want both sides in a sale/purchase properly identified; given the scope to register a stolen vehicle or to clone cut/shut etc it's not a massive leap.

As suggested above, can the Italian Embassy help?

Even then though it might be a regional thing.

Edited by Bromptonaut on 19/08/2020 at 21:50

Sold a car overseas - Ethan Edwards

www.thebalance.com/clearing-checks-risks-and-scams...2

This is the best explanation I can find. Basically Foreign Guy sends you a cheque. You pop it into your account . Some time later the bank confirms its cleared . Except it hasn't. if it was a uk cheque then it would have cleared. But the bank confirms it has because the usually time period has elapsed. But cheques from the FGs bank take longer due to being international and maybe a small obscure bank. You have been told the funds are clear, so you send the car. Two weeks later FGs cheque bounces so the bank grab the cash from you. Now you have no money and no car. Its a well known scam exploiting a quirk of the banking industry .

In this case I hope I'm wrong for the OPs sake.

Thanks for everyone's messages, either way no ID will be sent. This is how it looks to us, bank BACs transfer made, he sends proof of bank transfer, money hits bank and HSBC confirm there is no way the money can be recalled and either way they put a block on it so we are safe.

OP takes car back to Italy, has all the paperwork including bill of sale and COC, he even sends us a pic of the car that arrived safely in Italy so to that point we expected it to be done and dusted. He wants the bill of sale to state that there is no Cat C on it, we word it a slightly different way that still states all 'anomalies on the vehicle' as recorded.

Receives car in Italy and because he hasn't owned it for min 6 months which is the law in European countries unless you are a business exporting / importing, he faces a heavy tax / vat charge when registering it. So, to avoid this, he tries to register it in our name for min 6 months. That way 'if' the Italian authorities want a claw back of tax of any sort they come running to us / or if it isn't the above he tries to register it in our name to cover his back in case something comes back re the Cat C.

The car is 22 years old, we wouldn't ever be able to prove the tax / vat was ever paid on it initially and since then it had always been sold privately, but he claims that he needs our ID to also help show the car isn't new!!! Never heard such rubbish to be honest.

He then tells us someone he knows in the UK can also help explain the situation in Italy, ironically this 'person' is his mate who also buys and sells cars.

Anyway, we've taken the decision to ignore every message he now sends and keep evidence of everything.

Edited by jenster19 on 20/08/2020 at 06:43

Sold a car overseas - johncyprus

About eight years ago I sold an old MG on eBay and the buyer was from France. It was collected and driven back to France. I gave him all the relevant paperwork. Two months later he phoned me and told me he was having problems registering the vehicle in France ( he lived in Paris, I mention this because different areas within the country may have different systems ) and told me he needed a copy of my passport otherwise the local authorities would refuse him a local registration.

Of course I refused. A month later he was back on the phone pleading with me. I had him send me the French paperwork over and a friend translated and confirmed that indeed he needed a copy of my passport. Anyway, he was was a very pleasant Frenchman and I ( somewhat reluctantly ) trusted him a copy of my passport.

A few months later he sent me photos of the car which he had restored, bearing French plates. More importantly, in the months and years to follow I wasn’t scammed etc.

Edited by johncyprus on 20/08/2020 at 11:01

.... I lived in France for 20 years, registered many imported cars and not once did i ever need ID from the person who sold me the car. I've lived all over, inc Paris. Anyway, i've had proof now that ID def isn't required :)