Vauxhall Corsa 2007 - 83 yr old stopped driving, one for SLO76 - oldroverboy.

I thought this might amuse SLO..

As i said in the other thread, one of my friends has decided to give up driving, had advertised the car, had a couple of replies and one guy offered a silly low price, pointing out various (minor) defects and trying to knock a lot off.

As she is a widow, was a bit distressed at having people coming to her house (had been scammed before).. i said Ill pretend I'm your son if you want. Upshot, she offered me the car for £1000. Came yesterday and did all the documentation online with DVLA, and gave her a copy, put the car on SORN on my driveway, and spents couple of hours cleaning and polishing it using a foam spray cleaner first and then rinsing and washing with warm water and shampoo. Still got a bit of polishing to do, but in excellent condition, Full complete sevrices every year, in the folder of guff with it, the original brochure and lots of cleaning materials etc. This car has been pampered..

Vauxhall Corsa 2007 - 83 yr old stopped driving, one for SLO76 - Andrew-T

Where is it, ORB ? (roughly)

Where is it, ORB ? (roughly)

Where are you? roughly?

I am colchester.... why? interested....?

It has an interesting private plate,1 letter 1 number and 3 letters, I did offer her to keep the plate on retention, but she didn't want to do that, even though i offered to do it for free!

Looks tidy now it is cleaned up.

you can always message me via Avant.. (if he doesn't mind...

Edited by oldroverboy. on 25/05/2019 at 16:24

Vauxhall Corsa 2007 - 83 yr old stopped driving, one for SLO76 - Andrew-T

<< I am colchester.... why? interested....? >>

Might have been if you had said Chester instead of Col... , ORB. My g-daughter is having her driving lessons and might have liked such a thing.

Vauxhall Corsa 2007 - 83 yr old stopped driving, one for SLO76 - SLO76
Oh I do love a tidy old cheapo car. Nothing better when viewing a car than meeting some nice old soul who then presents an honest little car with low miles. This was my kinda thing when I was trading. My main business was a small but busy newsagents and convenience store in the town centre opposite the main train station which was surrounded by old folks flats that provided many of the cars I sold as a profitable sideline.

I paid decent money for older cars that dealers typically didn’t want to buy in and developed a reputation among the local retired folks. They knew if someone was wanting to give up driving or wanted to upgrade I was the one to speak to. I’d help them pick their next car and assist them to get the best deal possible, often viewing it too if it was a used car which I did for free if I was buying the old one.

It was an enjoyable and profitable wee hobby. A good clean and polish, a thorough tidy and shampoo inside and a well written advert would see them away quickly with a tidy wedge in the old sky rocket.

Edited by SLO76 on 25/05/2019 at 14:09

Vauxhall Corsa 2007 - 83 yr old stopped driving, one for SLO76 - elekie&a/c doctor
Couldn’t agree more . Just bought a 2004 Focus 1.8 petrol . 2 owners from new 70 k miles with a wad of history including timing belt, clutch and 2 new rear tyres . A few scuff marks on the body and the a/c is ice cold. A bargain at a massive £ 250 !!
I loved the Mk I Focus. A great thing to drive no matter what engine was in it but the 1.8 Zetec was pretty lively, perfect for getting the best out of that excellent handling. Shame they’ve all rusted away up here. Yours sounds like an absolute steal.

The occasional ST170 pops up which is just entering early classic status with prices on the rise for good examples but most have been ruined by the boy racer brigade. I’d snap one up but it’d involve a trek south of the border.

I wish I’d kept my black £300 Cougar V6 but an offer of a quick £550 profit was too much to resist. Hens teeth now.
Vauxhall Corsa 2007 - 83 yr old stopped driving, one for SLO76 - Avant

"You can always message me via Avant.. (if he doesn't mind...)

Feel free anyone. What a kind thing to do, ORB. You may get quite a lot of the £1,000 back if you flog it, but I know that wasn't why you bought it.

Edited by Avant on 26/05/2019 at 00:01

Have put an advert online on one of the free ad sites and in a couple of hours had an email enquiry.

Have told the truth, that I have paid for the car and registered it in my name and waiting for V5C to arrive. explained about the old friend being scammed last year.

"Tell me when v5c arrives and will come and look.

Sold!

Sold!

Wheeler dealer!

Yes teacher!

Moi?

But you do give some tips. That is the 3rd one i have sorted now for elderly friends.

The ones I helped to buy, I did it for absolutely nothing, and this I just gave her the asking price. an afternoon cleaning and polishing, and a bit of pocket money.

Buyer offered £50 less than i asked, so one month road tax deducted and a tiny bit 'cos i added it to my policy for 3 days ...

The service history with it was unbelievable, but true.

Vauxhall Corsa 2007 - 83 yr old stopped driving, one for SLO76 - gordonbennet

Hat well and truly doffed to you ORB, a gentleman.

Hat well and truly doffed to you ORB, a gentleman.

Thank you,

But it is the ones who say I wished I had listened to you.. that make me smile.

Some that did listen,

Dog walker friend 83, stopped driving after 2 speeding tickets in 2 weeks, (by the way, the policy was very near the end, and her insurance company said refund £18.. admin fee £30, but waived the fee and refunded her.)

Dog walker friend 80 year old replaced 19 year old Corolla (rust and gearbox failure) with venga,

84 years old neighbour replaced 18 year old Rover 25 (with HG failure) with 2010 Kia rio,.

Couple bit younger than me didn't by a new LR disco sport diesel for short runs locally, (2 lovely purebred German Shepherds) in spite of the salesman cursing me when i went with them and asked him to put it in writing that DPF problems and oil dilution would be covered. They got instead an outgoing model E320 estate at a fabulous discount on almost sensible tyres.

Edited by oldroverboy. on 04/06/2019 at 06:37

Vauxhall Corsa 2007 - 83 yr old stopped driving, one for SLO76 - paul 1963

Bit late, but jolly well done ORB, I've done something similar twice over the years, gives you a lovely warm feeling, more power to your elbow sir!!

Speaking of those who listen and those who don’t. I just found out a work colleague has decided to ignore my advice and has purchased a 2006 Range Rover Sport 2.7 diesel. I await the almost guaranteed painful lesson but since he’s a likeable chap I hope I’m wrong.
Vauxhall Corsa 2007 - 83 yr old stopped driving, one for SLO76 - gordonbennet

I have an inkling ORB may not be on the Christmas card list, and may well be on another list entirely at the local LR dealer..:-)

SLO, several of my colleagues have gone in for various RR versions since i've been here, eye watering regular bills have seen them sold on again in short order, as was the one X5, but the one long term fairly basic Disco 3 on a 55 plate seems to be doing just fine, as is the now very old Disco 2, now i wonder if old school lorry driver habits of warming up and cooling down routines plus giving modern ideas of long term servicing a good ignoring paying dividends here.

“One long term fairly basic Disco 3 on a 55 plate seems to be doing just fine, as is the now very old Disco 2, now i wonder if old school lorry driver habits of warming up and cooling down routines plus giving modern ideas of long term servicing a good ignoring paying dividends here.”

With the Discovery 3 it’s as much luck than anything else. Yes good maintenance is vital but it’s the electronics and air suspension that are often the killers on these things, neither of which are service items really.

The Discovery 2 was actually quite a good old thing. Far less complex and the old 5cyl (Storm) 2.5 diesel will run and run if looked after. Chassis rust usually gets em in the end.