Let us know what life is like with YOUR CAR And you could win one of three ipads | No thanks

Volks will torque
I have an 2007 2.0 TDI DSG and have just read the following in your ‘car by car breakdown’: “Early 2.0TDI DSGs suffer from ECU programming that reduces torque from standstill so acceleration is very poor initially until it hits peak torque and suddenly accelerates. Very dangerous at T-junctions and roundabouts.” I agree it is really scary at times (you have to put your foot down nearly a second before you actually want to move). Is this something that VW is willing to modify (preferably under warranty) or is it just a user-perception thing that I would have to see some after-market tuning chappie to modify? (My warranty ended in January.)

Asked on 20 March 2010 by J.E., via e-mail

The real reason is because the engine produces too much torque for the transmission and, unless it is electronically reigned in, it will destroy the dual mass flywheel, itself there to reduce torque reactions on the gearbox during the change-ups from 1st to 2nd and 2nd to 3rd.