No oil painting
I would appreciate your advice on the best polish for my nearly new Civic S with metallic black paint that seems to chip and mark fairly easily. It is not something that I have experience before with previous cars such as Jaguars and a Daimler.

Asked on 27 February 2010 by G.B., via e-mail

Solvent-based paint is now banned throughout the EC. Polish cuts the surface of the paint to give a shine. If you want the shine to last you need to top it with paint protection or wax. Start with Autoglym Super Resin polish or a clay bar. Then treat it to a coat of Autoglym High Definition wax (hard work). Or two coats of Autoglym Extra Gloss Protection. But each coat of Extra Gloss takes an hour to cure in the summer and 2 hours or more to cure in the winter, so cannot be applied in cold, damp conditions.