Fuel if you think it’s over
I have a Sept 2006 Suzuki Grand Vitara 1.9DDIS which I bought about 18 months ago with 19k miles from a non-franchised dealer. In April of this year at 31k we discovered a problem with filings being deposited in the fuel filter. When we took it back to the Suzuki dealer they immediately told me that the fuel pump in the fuel tank was at fault and needed to be replaced which was done by them under warranty as the servicing had all been carried out by a mix of Suzuki and VAT registered garages. The car was due a service at 36k which was last week and again they discovered that the same problem with filings was reoccurring. I took the car back to the Suzuki dealer and asked them to investigate this as I felt this should not be happening again and definitely not after 6k miles. The 3-year warranty was up at the end of September 2009. I am wondering am I correct in thinking that there should be at least 1 years warranty on the part and fitting as this had previously been done by Suzuki-trained mechanics?

Asked on 20 February 2010 by G.M., via e-mail

No. Anything done under warranty is only warranted to the end of the
warranty on the car, unless you contribute to the cost. Then it may be
warranted for 12 or 24 months. But your case is peculiar and unusual. It makes me wonder if the original tank sender pump was actually replaced. It could be they just flushed the system out and left it at that.