What is life like with your car? Let us know and win one of three ipads | No thanks

Winter Tyres
I have just bought a 2008 Volvo V70 D5, and I am considering winter tyres. My previous car, a Volvo 850 had 205/50 R16 tyres and the handbook recommended 185/65 R15 on steel rims as a winter combination.

The V70 handbook has no such recommendation and as the wheel/tyre supplied is 225/50 R17, I feel that a narrower smaller wheel/tyre would be more efficient than simply fitting winter tyres the same size.

Without going into tedious detail, Volvo UK do not seem to know what to do, and all my local dealer can suggest, is to approach a tyre fitting company! I would appreciate advice and informed comment.

Asked on 16 December 2010 by Porthselu

www.mytyres.co.uk and www.rarerims.co.uk should be able to advise the appropriate steel wheels. You might not be able to go down to 15s and they may not fit around the brake calipers of the later model V70. You will need different, shorter and shouldered wheel bolts for the steels, and will need to inform your insurer. UK stocks of winter tyres are severely depleted.