Speeding - Bromptonaut

My son has received two speeding tickets. One from June and one from September.

He bought a new car in May and it now emerges he never got the V5. Judging from the correspondence it seems the dealer entered the wrong house number when transferring the vehicle.

As a result both original S172 notices and any subsequent process went to a different block of converted flats.

I suspect they were ignored until Plod came knocking on the door.

I don't think in that case he's got a leg to stand on for service of the NIP etc. Hopefully he'll get a course for one and points for the other.

Thinking some more I'm slightly worried he might have been reported or even convicted in absentia for failing to name the driver, albeit at the wrong address.

If there is such a conviction how difficult might it be to unravel for lack of proper service?

Speeding - ExA35Owner

Put the details on pepipoo.com - expert advice there.

Speeding - Middleman

If by "unravelling" you mean having any s172 offences reverted to speeding, that will not be difficult at all. There is a tried and tested way of doing this (which I will explain if needed) which rarely, if ever fails. However, if you mean evading conviction entirely by claiming that the NIPs were not properly served, that's a different ball game. The police have to serve them on the RK "...by sending it by registered post, recorded delivery service or first class post addressed to him at his last known address". If his last known address was provided to the DVLA incorrectly the police will have fulfilled their obligation by using that incorrect information.

Edited by Middleman on 28/11/2021 at 18:26

Speeding - FiestaOwner
I don't think in that case he's got a leg to stand on for service of the NIP etc. Hopefully he'll get a course for one and points for the other.

Thinking some more I'm slightly worried he might have been reported or even convicted in absentia for failing to name the driver, albeit at the wrong address.

If there is such a conviction how difficult might it be to unravel for lack of proper service?

He can check his licence for points or disqualifications here:

www.gov.uk/view-driving-licence

If his address details with the DVLA are wrong, he won't be getting road tax reminders either. Check that here:

vehicleenquiry.service.gov.uk/

As said by ExA35Owner post up on the Pepipoo forums for help.

Speeding - Gibbo_Wirral

I'm curious as to how the offences eventually caught up to him.

Speeding - Bromptonaut

Our suspicion is that the occupier of 'the other flat 4' ignored the mail bearing my lad's name. If police then visited and mentioned, for example, details of son's car, they'd recognise it and him and point 'The Bizzies' (this is in Liverpool) in the right direction.

Speeding - ExA35Owner

Motor insurance database.....

Speeding - Engineer Andy

Our suspicion is that the occupier of 'the other flat 4' ignored the mail bearing my lad's name. If police then visited and mentioned, for example, details of son's car, they'd recognise it and him and point 'The Bizzies' (this is in Liverpool) in the right direction.

I suppose the problem is that he really should've checked as to why he hadn't received the V5 within a few weeks of getting the car.

A former colleague's son drove his dad BMW and got into an accident, which lead to him and dad getting serious points (11 if I recall - it was 20 years ago) and him banned because he wasn't insured on the car. Sometimes the authorities like to make an example of them.

He just needs to be honest and upfront with the authorities, admitting all mistakes. Not good for an employer to find out after many points end up on his licence or even a ban.

Some I've worked for insist that any employee either have a completely clean licence on joining, a max of X (likely 6 points) at any one time and always notify them of any new offences/points/ban. Some strict ones have rules that state than a driving ban is a sackable offence.

Problem is with so many cameras around these days its far easier, especially in urban areas, to go from zero points to a ban in a short time if you're not very careful.

Speeding - Bromptonaut

I suppose the problem is that he really should've checked as to why he hadn't received the V5 within a few weeks of getting the car.

Of course he should. Aside from maybe a subliminal thing about DVLA delays he'd win medals for procrastinating.

I've told him he's a Muppet.

He's emailed Merseyside Police to explain and completed/returned both S172 forms.

Speeding - Engineer Andy

Of course he should. Aside from maybe a subliminal thing about DVLA delays he'd win medals for procrastinating.

I've told him he's a Muppet.

If I recall, you would've thought he would have learned his lesson after the previous run in with Larry Law a few years ago. Let's hope that second time's a charm.

Speeding - Gibbo_Wirral

Not necessarily. It took over two months for my logbook to come back on a vehicle I purchased. And I was the one who completed and posted it the same day I purchased the vehicle.

Although when I contacted them to ask where it was, I got a letter back within 48 hours saying I could buy a replacement as the first one probably got lost in the post.

The DVLA backlog is reported as being a minimum of 10 weeks

Edited by Gibbo_Wirral on 02/12/2021 at 12:21