I Like Daytime Foglamps... - rg

Daytime foglamps.

At least, now, day and night, we can spot high risk drivers.

Good, eh?

I Like Daytime Foglamps... - Phil I
place: Supermarket Car Park
Time: 10.30 GMT
Weather Slight overcast : sun peeping thru.
Vehicle : Range Rover.
Driver: sitting in car waiting for spouse to return.
Headlights : FULL BEAM.

Should one walk over and mention this ??

Happy Motoring Phil I
I Like Daytime Foglamps... - Martin Devon
Come on Punk, m a k e m y d a y!

Regards.
I Like Daytime Foglamps... - Andrew-T
Probably so that spouse could find car .. ..
I Like Daytime Foglamps... - Fullchat
Or a getaway car!!!!!!
I Like Daytime Foglamps... - Galaxy
Phil I

Couldn't you have found a large mirror ??!!
I Like Daytime Foglamps... - No Do$h
I think that the off-switch for SUV foglamps is an optional extra. Just like indicator switches on Mercs and BMWs. The amount of times I've wanted to lean in through the driver's window and snap off the indicator stalk with the words "well, if you don't need it....."

No Dosh. The voices make me do it.
I Like Daytime Foglamps... - Alfafan {P}
Reminds me of the time about 10 years ago whenI was in a traffic queue in Durham. A cyclist came up to the car in front of me and started berating the driver for cutting him up earlier. The cyclist was extremely angry and, perhaps foolishly, the car driver lowered his window and started arguing back. Things got more and more heated until suddenly the cyclist leaned through the window, snatched the ignition keys and threw them over the bridge into the river....
I Like Daytime Foglamps... - Citroënian {P}
I always think it's a bad idea to get into a scrap with a cyclist - they're almost always guaranteed to be fitter than you...

In defence of the Range Rover brigade, I found a new RR behind me at a set of lights near home. His lights were just on dipped, but were flooding our car with Xenon style illumination.

In an unprecedented move, the driver switched to side lights and then back to dipped when we moved off, avoiding blinding me. Hats off, respect due and much kudos to that particular driver.

Unfortunate then, that most 4x4s around here are driven by clueless middle age women who are clearly so incompotent at driving they need something to withstand the odd crash. That they can't see over the wheel, beyond the bonnet or past their arrogance doesn't help either.

Lee.
Perhaps if cars were fitted with large spikes in the middle of the steering wheel instead of airbags people would drive with a bit more thought?

No Dosh. Part-time cyclist so only part time fit.
I Like Daytime Foglamps... - Shigg
When seeing cars with their fog lights on in clear weather, I've always assumed that the fog was in the drivers head!

Steve.
I Like Daytime Foglamps... 100M - rg
So foglamps should only be used in conditions of less than 100 metres vis?

>old-f***-brag-mode-//on//-<

I started on a Puch Maxi moped in 1976 and went through a number of reppie jobs with high mileage in all weathers. I've probably done over a million miles.

I reckon I have been in less than 100m vis only about a dozen times in nearly 27 years. And most things are -south-from where I live, which takes me through the infamous Vale of York fogtrap.

//off//

Anyone had more fog than that?
I Like Daytime Foglamps... 100M - Shigg
Brings to mind the four yorkshiremen sketch.

Steve.
I Like Daytime Foglamps... 100M - rg
lights?

...you were lucky

we had to lie on dad's bonnet at 60mph and strike matches to see the cats eyes that had been painted over black...

...etc?
I Like Daytime Foglamps... 100M - Shigg
Excellent!

Steve.

P.S. Matches?
I Like Daytime Foglamps... 100M - Citroënian {P}
LOL - Absolutely spot on Rob, my vote for post of the day...

Lee.

(Still laughing)
I Like Daytime Foglamps... 100M - Dave_TD
Nope.
I Like Daytime Foglamps... - rubenoff
Please visit the link below to view a complaint of too much light from parking lamps on a 2004 Ford freestar van

We were able to find out the reason and have installed the proper lamp bulbs in 2 Candlepower to resolve the lights that could no be switched off

Return comments apreciated

www.rafeonline.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=3035

BJ
Please visit the link below to view a complaint of too
much light from parking lamps on a 2004 Ford freestar van
We were able to find out the reason and have installed
the proper lamp bulbs in 2 Candlepower to resolve the lights
that could no be switched off
Return comments apreciated
www.rafeonline.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=3035
BJ

I don't recall anyone showing any interest when you posted a similar link yesterday, but feel free to carry on your campaign. No really, do.

::sigh::
No Do$h - Alfa-driving Backroom Moderator
mailto:moderators@honestjohn.co.uk
I Like Daytime Foglamps... - MikeC
I always think it's a bad idea to get into a
scrap with a cyclist - they're almost always guaranteed to be
fitter than you...

Once got into a muddle on a roudabout, the middle lane had been changed to 'buses only' since I last used it - queue of cars on my right wouldn't let me in, and a silly cyclist on my left cut me up on the inside, had to brake to avoid hitting him - in safety of my car gave him a piece of my mind with the horn.

So there I was quietly filling up with petrol a few yards down the road when said cyclist pulls up next to me giving me a right ear bashing! - I explained that he put himself in danger as I was concentrating on trying to change lane to right and didn't expect a cyclist to be undertaking me on a fairly major roundabout, he ended up apologising to me! How he recognised me as I was driving a grey Nissan (old) Primera I don't know!!
I Like Daytime Foglamps... - Shigg
I once saw a motorcyclist run into the back of car that slowed down very fast to avoid a bus pulling up at the last minute to collect a passenger (it was years ago, early 80s, don't think buses stop now even if there's a queue), so bike hits rear of car, rider goes over bars and makes contact with rear screen and rolls off boot lid. Biker gets up starts shouting (couldn't hear what, he still had his helmet on) and shaking his fist. Driver gets out followed by 3 other giants and a german shepherd, biker goes quiet and puts down his arm, driver says something to the biker whilst the 3 passengers toss bike into gutter. They all get back into car and drive off leaving biker stood in the middle of the road. I still laugh now, it looked so comical!
Motto - be very careful who you show off to.

Steve.
Unfortunately when you are cycling your adrenaline tends to be up anyway, due to the excercise and the constant feeling that you are going to meet your maker at the next junction. Very easy to find yourself with a short fuse, which is a *bad* idea when you are taking on a tonne of metal.

Have learned to just thank my lucky stars after each near miss or accident where I can get up and hobble away. Not worth the coronary.

No Dosh. Zen and the art of falling off your push-bike.
I Like Daytime Foglamps... - Bromptonaut
Once got into a muddle on a roudabout, the middle lane
had been changed to 'buses only' since I last used it
- queue of cars on my right wouldn't let me in,
and a silly cyclist on my left cut me up on
the inside, had to brake to avoid hitting him - in
safety of my car gave him a piece of my mind
with the horn.

Or from the cyclist's perspective:-

Bowling round roundabout in my correct lane when Primera on my offside suddenly realises he's wrong laned and cuts in front. Fortunately he spots me and brakes in time but still has the audacity to blast his horn!
I Like Daytime Foglamps... - Badger
>>'most 4x4s around here are driven by clueless middle age women who are clearly so incompotent at driving they need something to withstand the odd crash. That they can't see over the wheel . . .'

I hope Lady Stripey doesn't see that. She drove our Series II Landrover with considerable élan, and never a scratch, for over ten years. She could just see over the wheel -- the thumping great spare one on the bonnet -- but was herself thus largely invisible to oncoming drivers, who always gave way. Even taxis and bread vans.
Good topic here in B.C Canada, we have the same problem of drivers selecting fog lamps and never shutting them off even on clear nights

Some of our problems are lack of police enforcement to shut off the fog lamps And vehicles that are poorly designed

With no illuminated switch for the operator to see

And people who hard wire the fog lamps to the low beam and there is no switch to shut them off

There is no regular vehicle inspection programme to inspect the
Vehicle lighting systems for faults

And no night time inspections along side the highways

WE need better instalations and better policing of common sense public safety

Please feel free to visit the link below to see an actual complaint of park lamp Over lighting on a 2004 Vehicle

www.f150online.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&thread...0

BJ
I Like Daytime Foglamps... - Robin Reliant
Far more annoying than fog lights at dusk are the drivers who pull up on the right and sit there for ages with their dipped beam on. You are forced to slow to a crawl till you pass and it is another two minutes before the spots in front of your eyes begin to clear. If there is no other traffic about I always give them a dose of main beam and fog lights as I pass, making sure I position so that it is as blinding as possible.

Taxi drivers are the worst in this respect.
I Like Daytime Foglamps... - bikemade3
I absolutely hate drivers who drive with their foglights on clear conditions so much so if a car coming my way has them on when not rquired i'll go to full beam. Petty i know but if they cannot work out why i,m on full beam they do not deservre to be driving.9 out of 10 times its the "CHAV" brigade.
I Like Daytime Foglamps... - Glaikit Wee Scunner {P}
Just to be my usual boring self- I wish some people would switch on their fog lamps. (Shock horror)
The past couple of weeks it's been foggy in the Peak District and ~ 1 in 10 drivers have had no lights at all in the semi darkness around 8.15 am.
My wife's Mazda 323 has the fog light switch invisibly near my right shin so little chance of being used.
--
I wasna fu but just had plenty.
I Like Daytime Foglamps... - smoke
Why can't car manufacturers who put foglight switches on the normal light switch allow you to put rears on before front. I prefer the rear on first when its foggy, because in moderatly foggy conditions main beams are usually good enough to see the car coming towards you, but weak/nonexistant tail lights make it difficult to see the car you could potentially rear end. I know the logic is that when its bad enough visibility to have one you should have both, but in slightly foggy conditions i like the safety of the rear on, but not blinding the oncoming traffic.
In Canada we have Daytime running lamps the best version is the DRL1 that operates within the low beam of the main lamp system
at aprox 60% of the low beam brillance look at the supplier
inventors website below

www.pacificinsight.com/

We have two vehicles with this version and like the features

No additional lamps are required for the DRL operations
DRL is extinguished with park brake applied
DRL is focused Low in low beam of headlmaps,

However we have some other versions I hate where the vehicle builder has installed 2 additional lamps for the DRL operations

and in many cases these added lamps are lit at night and they call them fog or driving lamps and the sad part is in many cases the drivers cannot shut them off when the weather is clear, or when the engine is running???

Vehicle without the ability for drivers to control lighting used as and when required and being able to respect the eyes of oncoming drivers are for the birds ( except The first version)

suggest shopping for vehicles needs more attention to how the safety of the driver and the oncoming traffic has been researched by the design people
Who are supposed to be on our side

Cheers BJ
I Like Daytime Foglamps... - Martin Devon
Foglamps and Baseball caps seem to pair up well. Long peaked caps of course which they (think?) hide their faces.

As Christmas started here on 22 Nov I wish you all Easter regards **NOW** M.
I Like Daytime Foglamps... - andymc {P}
Huh. I remember being extremely disgusted when in my local Sainsbury's I saw some turkey advertised as "Christmas fayre" or some such ... next to a thin steak with the "Taste of summer" label. It was early September.
--
andymc
Vroom, vroom - mmm, doughnuts ...
Oh, I don't know. Daytime foglamps add a certain gaiety to the streets at this time of year. Especially when there are those red ones at the back as well.
I Like Daytime Foglamps... - bugged {P}
My boyfriend once stopped to yell at a motorist who cut him up on his bike and almost knocked him off, the foolish driver began to rant back and told my boyfriend he shouldnt be on the road anyway, "nor should you" replied boyfriend as he reached in the window of the car, took the keys and lobbed them into the
bushes!!

I dont call them fog lights I call them "watch out, idiot coming through lights!"
I Like Daytime Foglamps... - henry k
Oh, I don't know. Daytime foglamps add a certain gaiety
to the streets at this time of year. Especially when
there are those red ones at the back as well.

>>
Do not forget the blinking red ones on the door mirrors of the Black LHD pick up trucks often seen near football grounds.
They supplement the flashing reds on the back.
I Like Daytime Foglamps... - john deacon
i like the flashing lights on pedal cycles they clearly mean "i cannot be bothered to get some legal lights please knock me over"
Then you have clearly noticed them which, in view of the vulnerability of a cyclist, is surely all to the good. And they are illegal only if they are:-

a) fitted to the bike --if fixed to clothing, they are legal

or

b) are the only lights -- they are not illegal if other (legal) lights are also fitted.

These two exemptions demonstrate that this is another case in which the law is a dog's breakfast, and long overdue for revision. As a cyclist and member of the CTC, I have never heard of a prosecution though.