When is it a write-off - stevieg
After a recent crash (car parked in icy car park empty, car skidded into back of car. Driver left details and witnesses) the estimate from Godfry Davis in Worksop was £2043 excl. VAT. My car is a 97P Primera SRi with A/C 75K on clock. Good condition before prang. Insurance company (Esure) said they write off cars if repair cost of repair is more than 60% of market value. In my case they willl repair (just). This means my car is valued at more than £3400. If vat added this = £4000.
I will come to the point now, How do they determine market value?, and do they include the VAT when calculating 60% of value to write car off?
To be honest I would rather it be written off as I would rather not have a car which has had £2400 worth of repairs to it.
If I wanted to write it off they would give me less than cost of repairs, I said I would be happy with £2700 (approx trade in value) but no go. I was changing the car in a few months anyway.
Any thoughts please or similar experiences.
When is it a write-off - Hugo {P}
£2400 won't actually get you a huge amount of repairs, so I would suggest that the repair is largely superficial, ie no major structural damage.

Many of these places offer 3 year warranties on repairs anyway. If you're going to trade it in anyway I would get the repairs done and be very fussy about its eventual condition, which will boost your trade in value.

Alternitively, if you're worried about the scale of damage, get a 2nd opinion, probably another Nissan dealer and ask them whether or not it is an easy repair, and get another quote.

I know what you mean though, sometimes it's easier just to offload the car, especially if you're going to trade it in. This happened to me in 2001. I was going to go down to one car as opposed to 2. Rear end shunt saved me from having to dispose of 2nd car.

Third option, what is its trade in value at the moment? May sound daft, but these garages will be keen to sell you another motor. So you could take the money from the dealer and money from the insurers.... How does that add up? The repair will be cheaper to the trade (if they can be bothered).

H
When is it a write-off - Blue {P}
The bill for my mate's Mondeo has come to £over £1200 and there is no structural damage, it's all cosmetic really, like a dented boot lid, smashed bumper etc. Unfortunately his is likely to be written off, however, he's gonna buy it back and fix it himself 'cos he likes it that much...

Blue
When is it a write-off - stevieg
Just give you an update.

Pushed them for figures, they value my car at £2721 and repairs are £2400 incl. VAT which equates to 88% of value.
Rang the garage spoke to the manager who said that ESURE have asked if repairs can be done cheaper ie. repair tailgate not replace. garage said no, original quote stands.
I,ve asked for car to be written off and I would take £2721. At least I will have cash for replacement car so I might be off to the Auctions.
I am after a A6 Avant new shape 1.8T or 2.4, would I get one for £7500?
Thanks for replies
When is it a write-off - pd
The VAT is irrelevant, I can't see any reason esure wouldn't claim it back.

Still seems an odd decision though.