Any - Safe mode - andy815

Given the number of reports of cars going into safe mode suddenly at any speed should we drive half a mile apart from the car infront. Have never heard of any accidents caused by something that could become a scandle for car makers

Any - Safe mode - unthrottled

???

Any - Safe mode - daveyjp
You should always drive at a safe distance from the car in front. My safe mode event was no different to having a blowout and they have been happening since inflated tyres were invented.

Can someone explain what a 'safe mode event' is? It sounds like something Windows does when it wasn't shut down properly!

Any - Safe mode - Rickg

'Safe Mode' is also called 'limp mode'. Its a mode that stops any action damaging the engine by limiting your speed.

Sometimes by turning the engine off, and back on again it goes back into normal mode, but you really should get it checked out as there is something serious regarding the engine.

Well operating on reduced power is hardly a safety issue, is it? Presumably the m****s would prefer their engines to soldier on until seizure or some other catastrophic event, so they could remain in blissful ignorance in the meantime?

The ability for the ECU to take control of the power output of the engine is one of the few tangible benefits of Electronic throttle control.

Any - Safe mode - RichT54

A few years ago when I had an Accord I was pulling out onto a roundabout when it suddenly went into limp mode - it wouldn't do more than 20 mph. Luckily there was no immediate traffic, so I was able to continue to the next turning and pull off the main road.

The handbook said to turn the ignition on/off three times (with out starting the car) which I did and the warning light went off. I was then able to drive as normal. When I took it to the dealer they diagnosed a faulty glowplug relay. After they replaced the relay I didn't have any further problems.

It did make me wonder what would happen if it suddenly decided to do this while I was in the outside lane of a busy motor way. I have read several accounts where this has happened to people and they have said something like "luckily I was able to coast to the hard shoulder without hitting anything". Perhaps anyone who was unlucky didn't live to tell the tale?

"luckily I was able to coast to the hard shoulder without hitting anything".

There's no luck about it, anything else would be operator ineptiude. Losing power on a motorway is not pleasant, but it is not a cause for panic. You have plenty of momentum to get from lane three to the hard shoulder.

A few years ago when I had an Accord I was pulling out onto a roundabout when it suddenly went into limp mode - it wouldn't do more than 20 mph. Luckily there was no immediate traffic

This is rather less pleasant. But ultimately, unless your manoeuvre was a rash one, other traffic on the roundabout should be able to cope without an accident (although there may be some horn blaring and gesticulating). It's no more of a hazard than stalling a car. People don't consider themselves a danger to the road and report themselves to VOSA if they stall at a roundabout, do they?

You cannot take mechanical reliability as a certainty. There are many reasons for an engine to stop dead, and your driving must reflect this!

Limp home mode allows an engine that might have a serious fault, to be have limited operation to allow the vehicle to be moved, say to a garage. It's a jolly good thing.

Any - Safe mode - jc2

The correct term is "LOS"-Limited Operation Strategy-not "limp 'ome system".

Edited by jc2 on 02/03/2013 at 13:15

Any - Safe mode - TeeCee

"luckily I was able to coast to the hard shoulder without hitting anything".

There's no luck about it, anything else would be operator ineptiude. Losing power on a motorway is not pleasant, but it is not a cause for panic. You have plenty of momentum to get from lane three to the hard shoulder

Happened to a mate while I was with him in his Primera when the crank sensor died. Only weird bit was that the police turned up while were calling the recovery service. Apparently someone had reported a car losing control and veering off the motorway, which shows how much attention they were paying.....

Any - Safe mode - Bromptonaut

Given the number of reports of cars going into safe mode suddenly at any speed should we drive half a mile apart from the car infront. Have never heard of any accidents caused by something that could become a scandle for car makers

Not really. Don't know about other cars but my HDi Xantia's limp mode limits it ti 3k/rpm. In fifth and at motorway speeds it's only doing 2250-2500. Pulling out can catch as it suddenly stops accelerating but if anybody else collides its least partly their fault.

Older petrol car I had from 89-93 used to suffer pre-evaporation inthe fuel filter which vapour locked the system. After a few surges engine would stop dead. Not fun but dump clutch, winkers then hazards and onto the hard shoulder.

Any - Safe mode - MikeTorque

I've driven a number of cars when "Limp home" cut in ("Fail Safe Mode" is the technical term).

Each time I was driving on a dual-carriageway and each time I was able to quickly adjust for the sudden power lose, not so easy when one car had black smoke pouring out of the exhaust with intermittent drastic power loss.

On another occasion (many years ago) when I was passing a lorry on yet another dual-carriageway (night time unlit road) the fuel relay blew resulting in zero power. I turned on the hazards and then indicated to move to the left lane to let the lorry know I was in trouble. I had declutched to reduce engine/transmission drag and had just enough forward motion to move to the inside lane when I saw right in front of me an empty lay-by where I was able to safely pull in. Opposite side of the road was a cafe' which was about to close, they looked after us whilst we waited for the breakdown service to arrive about 35 mins later. Car was carried back to our local garage and we were taken home, it was mid-winter and dark when this happened.

Someone was definitely looking me on each occasion that’s for sure.

Any - Safe mode - 1litregolfeater

Vauxhall radios say "SAFE" when they've been disconnected. Would hate to see people taking their Vauxhalls to a garage just for the disinformation they're fed lead to them getting ripped off by a Vauxhall dealer.