E30 318i / 1994 / Tourer. - Fluctuating engine,lights & fan after new HT Leads - E30-LakeTourer

I had a problem with my E30 318i stuttering, and thought it may be a fuel problem, but before replacing the fuel filter, I thought I'd replace the spark plugs and HT leads (number two lead had a burn hole in it), these had not been renewed for several years.

About a week or so ago, I replaced the spark plugs and HT Leads, barr one, the number one spark lead (with the sensor cable on it), after having disconnected the negative wire to the battery 'first'. I left the number one lead and sensor cable on as access to the crank sensor connector was difficult, and I had not got a socket set handy.

• I tested the engine up the road, and it ran fine / smooth, accept on approaching every 'Give Way' or junction, the engine would cut out. But whilst the engine was running, I noticed the MPH (?) gauge (for judging usage of petrol at various speeds,) was all over the place, high when stationary and low when the accelorator was pushed, and the engine was fluctuating, along with the fan and lights. I thought it may be because I had left the old lead and crank sensor cable connected.

Today, (after disconnecting the negative battery cable first), I managed to dismantle some framework and various bolts, (as I couldn't work out how to unclip the connector...I worked it out by finding one in the open...easy...push the clip inwards,) to gain access to the connectors, and cleaned the crank sensor sockets and replace the crank sensor cable and connect it to the sensor socket, and put the number one spark lead on, and everything is still fluctuating, and stalling at junctions.

I am pretty sure I put all the leads in the correct places on the spark plugs and distributor, one by one and all marked with indelible ink as I took them off.

• Another thing that may be of use to know, hopefully this is the answer, is that, I have had a service light on for several months, maybe from around the time the petrol feed had seemed to be interupted. So maybe my Lambda Sensor is knackered, or even the Crank Sensor ? I thought the service light was to indicate that my car had not been in for a service, lol, which is true, as I have done the things myself, that a service would do, and all just for a bit of paper. Anyway, the ECU, I'm told would not know this, and its' to indicate that something is wrong somewhere. Pointing to the O2 Sensor probably, this seems to me, to make a little sense. I should replace these as I have owned this car for 3 years and the previous owner for three years, and neither of us have replaced the fuel filter, lambda sensor or the creank sensors.

Thank you very much for reading all of this. Regards Rob.

Edited by E30-LakeTourer on 19/02/2013 at 00:52

E30 318i / 1994 / Tourer. - Fluctuating engine,lights & fan after new HT Leads - Peter.N.

Hi Rob

The first thing to check would be your battery connections, make sure that both the connectors and posts are shiny clean, then follow the negative lead from the battery to the engine/gearbox/chassis and make sure the connections are tight.

Peter