2003 Fiesta TDCI - Turbo pipe hole - pobber1

Hi all,

My 2003 TDCI Fiesta blew a massive hole in it's turbo pipe (it's the pipe that comes from the turbo and goes to left hand side of the engine cover).

One garage have told me that after connecting up their computer it told them that the EGR valve is not working.

Another garage have physically inspected the EGR valve and have said that there was only a small amount of carbon build up on the valve and that the internals of the value appeared to be working fine.

My questions are:-

1. What could cause the turbo pipe to blow, I imagine pressure build up from somewhere?

2. Could a faulty EGR value cause the turbo pipe to fail?

3. When the turbo pipe blew could this have caused the fault code for the EGR valve to fire?

Not having a good week with the car, it has got a new tire, two front shocks, front springs, top mounts, a wheel hub, wheel bearing, CV joint and turbo pipe

Any help much appreciated, Thanks

2003 Fiesta TDCI - Turbo pipe hole - MrEckerslikefromRamsbottom

Well, er... If the garage has told you that there was a fault code connected with the EGR valve (P4010 or perhaps, P4040), then the little yellow engine management fault light should have shown, at some time, if not now then in the past.

EGR fault codes can be intermittent. They can show up if, say, you have been stuck in heavy traffic and crawling along slowly. The engine gets hot and the EGR should open to cool down the combustion temperature. A coked-up valve will not pass quite enough gas and the sensor will spot this and bring up the engine management fault light. After a few days of normal driving, the fault light will go out, but the fault code will be stored and readable with a code-reader plugged into the diagnostic socket.

These days, it's my thoughts that you should have your own code-reader (mine cost £40 from a local parts shop) so that you don't get ripped-off.

Perhaps this lot are saying that the EGR valve is not working because there is a stored fault code for it? If it's not working and there's a fault code, then the engine management fault light should have been illuminated, surely?

The problem with the EGR valve on this engine is that it's down the back and has two water pipes from from the block connected to it's cooler, and so it's an expensive job to take it apart. Removing the valve involves a lot of top-end dismantling and draining the coolant, so you need new anti-freeze to refill when re-fitting it. In other words, don't take the EGR valve apart unless you're sure it needs it!

2003 Fiesta TDCI - Turbo pipe hole - Peter.N.

I can't see that a faulty EGR valve would cause much of an increase in air pressure, I think its more likely that the turbo is delivering to much pressure, but then it should have flagged up a warning. Could it just be that the pipe has failed due to wear?

2003 Fiesta TDCI - Turbo pipe hole - pobber1

There was no engine management light at any time.

I suppose it is possible that the pipe blew due wear. The car has 120,000 miles on it.