skoda octavia 1.8t 4x4 2002 - fitting engine - jake 4x4

Hi all, im new to this site and in need of some advice please. ive got low compression in one cylinder its saying 25 soin need of another engine. The engine code says ARX but I cant find one anywhere not even on ebay!

My question is what other engines will fit?

skoda octavia 1.8t 4x4 2002 - fitting engine - gordonbennet

The devil you know and all that, assuming your car has been maintained reasonably well.

Not worth dropping some oil in the plug hole and rechecking compression?, give you a pointer as to rings/piston or valve/head problem?

Repair/rebuild to suit?

skoda octavia 1.8t 4x4 2002 - fitting engine - Peter D

This could just be a burnt out valve. You need to get the head taken off and then make a dicision. Regards Peter

skoda octavia 1.8t 4x4 2002 - fitting engine - jake 4x4

I ve only had the car afew months but it does have good service history the only bad thing is the high milage its near 180,000 which is why I suggested dropping another engine in. It does have afew lights up on the dash, engine manangment, abs and quite often now the triangle pops up and goes off? It was plugged in before I bought it and was told it just needed lamba sensor, ive still not had that replaced would that make a difference?

Upon checking forums it looks like a burnt valve. But again is it really worth getting that sorted due to the high milage?

many thanks.

skoda octavia 1.8t 4x4 2002 - fitting engine - Crasher

An ARX is exactly the same base engine as the AUM and AUQ used in various VW, Audi, Seat and Skoda models BUT there are slight year variations, nothing dramatic though. Be very careful as these engines are very prone to oil pressure loss due to sludge in the sump.

Edited by Crasher on 19/01/2013 at 23:44