peugeot 307 - high mileage peugeot - breeny

hi im looking to buy a peugeot 307 55 plate for £1895,its a diesel and its done 140,000 miles.its got a years mot and 2 month warranty,fsh 1 owner.should i consider buying it thanks.

peugeot 307 - high mileage peugeot - Collos25

Its sold under the SOGA the warranty is worthless.

sorry whats SOGA?

peugeot 307 - high mileage peugeot - RT

sorry whats SOGA?

Sale Of Goods Act.

so why give out a warranty if its worthless,sorry im new to all this,and what about the mileage?

peugeot 307 - high mileage peugeot - countryroads

For £1895 you can do far, far better. They are probably the worst car in their class as regards longevity. Do you particularly need a diesel...?

There is huge choice with much lower mileage around for that money, a pick has of course got to be a nice lower mileage petrol Focus, better in every way.

peugeot 307 - high mileage peugeot - tony g
( sorry whats SOGA? )
I've said in previous posts ,that some customers who come to view my cars have no concept of HPI or VOSA .Now another example .

Is it surprising that the general car buying public is taken advantage of by independent dealers and multiple garage groups alike .

Who's really at fault , the dealers or car buyers ,how many buyers do any research into the potential nightmare of buying a stolen car or a car that's been written off .

The colour of a used car often seems more important to a used car buyer than checking clear title .The reason for my rant . A buyer who doesn't trouble to do easily available checks and gets his fingers burnt , is very quick to tell all and sundry that all used car dealers are robbers and con men .

No were not ! make a little effort and protect yourself .

peugeot 307 - high mileage peugeot - happy polo

tony g: I'm not entirely sure what you are asking here, you appear to be suggesting that if a dealer supplies a vehicle which has been stolen, written off etc, that it is up to the seller to have checked all of this first and therefore it must be their fault? I'm afraid I would strongly disagree, and I imagine most others would too. Dealers charge more than private sellers because they - supposedly - offer a service of some type, the 'safety' of buying from a trader and the comeback that offers. It is surely then up to you, the dealer, to provide that service. If I am to be expected to ensure that your stock is not unsaleable before I buy it from you, why should I then pay extra for it and provide you with a profit - I would surely be better off paying less for a private vehicle passing those same checks?! The law would also seem to take a different view to yours, hence the Sale of Goods Act and suchlike.

peugeot 307 - high mileage peugeot - tony g
(tony g: I'm not entirely sure what you are asking here, you appear to be suggesting that if a dealer supplies a vehicle which has been stolen, written off etc, that it is up to the seller to have checked all of this first and therefore it must be their fault? )

Hi hp ,
I'm not asking anything ,what I'm saying is that car buyers to often don't make any attempt to protect themselves .

The information on HPI ,VOSA and Soga ,is readily available ,yet to many buyers don't make any effort to do the necessary research .They still ask me what's HPI ,and what's the certificate /check that I offer .Im not suggesting buyers should do the check themselves ,but as a minimum they should know what the checks represent .

Don't forget thar SOGA only comes into play when a problem occurs ,buyers seem to know less about SOGA than they do HPI .Dont believe me ,check out the number of posts in the legal section asking what are my rights now I've bought a problem car .

Why buy from a dealer ?part exchange is one of the major reasons .
peugeot 307 - high mileage peugeot - Avant

A Peugeot is too much of a gamble at this age, and well-used diesels can be liable to expensive failure.

I suggest you look for a Toyota Corolla, old-shape Honda Civic or Mazda 3 - petrol-powered.

peugeot 307 - high mileage peugeot - Cyd

Peugeots are okay cars when new, but they aren't built to last. They are designed to be cheap and this has an impact on their likely longevity. I wouldn't touch a Pug with that mileage.

In the sub £2k bracket I'd also steer well clear of diesels unless you really need one for the economy if you do loads of miles.

peugeot 307 - high mileage peugeot - Armitage Shanks {p}

I must be lucky! My 307 has just got to 100,000 miles @ 8 1/2 old with £250 spent on non-routine items in that time.

Re unscrupulous dealers, an 80 year old widow I know had her 4 year old 2000 miles recorded car written off as a result of flooding. Took no advice and went back to the dealer and was sold a brand new one when, for the mileage she does, a good used one would have sufficed and saved hner a lot of money