parking in a private car park - bulliedneighbour

Any help with the following issue would be gratefully received. I'll try to keep it brief..here goes..

My flat, which I rent comes with a private car park and we have one allocated space which my flat mate uses. Within the car park however there are a number of areas that are not allocated spaces, but which have space to park a car.

In my opinion these spaces (of which there are 3) have amble space to park a car; the car does not obstruct any entrances or anyone else needing to park, and I cannot see any health and safety issues with parking there. The spaces do not have any white lines round, and there are no yellow lines or any 'no parking' signs.

When I park here the 'car park police' leave notes on my car. These started as (quite rude) hand written notes, grew into polite printed notes stating I was 'not parked in a designated parking space' to a 'WARNING you have parked in a no parking area' sign which was glued to my window. My car has also been keyed while parked in one of these areas.

When I spoke to the police about my car been keyed they stated there was no reason I couldn't park there; however I would like to confirm this and possibly leave a note about this for the 'car park police'. I also think their behaviour could be verging on bullying or harrassment, or I am I being sensitive? However I am also worried that if I make an issue of it the property managers will look to make them no parking areas and get a private company to clamp/fine people-is this possible??

Any advice about this issue, or where to go to find the best advice??

thank you in advance x

parking in a private car park - RT

So you have one allocated space which your mate uses but you park there as well, in an unofficial space that someone there doesn't like.

I certainly think that involving the property managers will only go badly for you - I don't think you have any rights so you might be best to find somewhere else to park.

parking in a private car park - tony g
Hi ,
You should have a tenancy agreement that states your entitlement to parking .

Sadly that will only give you the legal picture ,if you have fellow tenants that are prepared to damage your car ,it's probably best to find a different place to park .
parking in a private car park - bulliedneighbour

Thanks for the replies

I was hoping that because there was no 'no parking signs' that legally they couldn't do anything about me parking there, such as parking fine or clamping?

Obviously they can damage my car, but I think this has stopped after the police have been called on a number of occassions because of damage to a number of cars.

parking in a private car park - Bromptonaut

What does the lease say about parking spaces? I don't mean your tenancy agreement I mean the lease under which you landlord holds the premises.

There are lots of flat developments from last 10-15 yrs where developer either from greed for space or due planning only allowed one parking space per flat. Extra spaces are for visitors or comprise manouevering space or emergency provision. My mother lives in such a development. Ok for her, even before she gave up driving at 82 she was a widow living alone.

Now in the 'buy to let' market flats tend to be let either to professional couples or sharers. Either tend to have one car per head. Oddly, letting agents tend not to 'headline' the restrictions on cars.

When tenants of let property play fast and loose with parking restrictions there is forction with the resident 'owner' lessors who undrstand the issues.

Not uncommon to visit Mum and find all visitor space occupied by cars she identifies as belonging to Falt X

What does the lease say about parking spaces? I don't mean your tenancy agreement I mean the lease under which your landlord holds the premises.

There are lots of flat developments from last 10-15 yrs where developer either from greed for space or due planning rules only allowed one parking space per flat. Extra spaces are for visitors or comprise maneuvering space or emergency provision. My mother lives in such a development. Ok for her, even before she gave up driving at 82 she was a widow living alone.

Now in the 'buy to let' market flats tend to be let either to professional couples or sharers. Either tend to have one car per head. Oddly, letting agents tend not to 'headline' the restrictions on cars.

When tenants of let property play fast and loose with parking restrictions there is friction with the resident 'owner' lessors who understand the issues.

Not uncommon to visit Mum and find all visitor space occupied by cars she identifies as belonging to Flat X

parking in a private car park - concrete

What a pity, the 'sheriff ' is back. Where do these people get their ideas from? They set themselves up as judge, jury, sheriff and vigilante to punish any percieved 'wrongdoing'.

I would hire a remote camera that will work off your car battery, site it in the car to observe who this 'sheriff ' is. Then I would involve the police if any hard evidence is gathered. Give this idiot a taste of their own medicine. Alternatively, if you have any large and capable friends to help, you can always have a 'quiet word' with the idiot and point out the error of their ways and the consequences of any future repetition of this idiotic behaviour. If the area you park in is a free space, then go ahead and use it, what possible harm can you be doing? Best of luck. Concrete

Trouble is concrete it don't work like that.

Modern flat developments have their parking regualted by planning and by the terms of the lease/commonhold for the shared areas. If there's one space per flat then that's what you're signing up to. I matters not whether you could squeze in a few more (small?) cars.

The terms are in the deeds and that's what goes.