Vauxhall Corsa 1.4 1992 - Vauxhall Corsa rear brakes - flopper

New shoes fitted and bedded in and there seems to be no automatic or manual adjustment to the shoes .. the handbrake has excessive travel so does the handbrake act as the adjuster for the shoes as well?

thanks

Vauxhall Corsa 1.4 1992 - Vauxhall Corsa rear brakes - Collos25

Have not been fitted properly.

Vauxhall Corsa 1.4 1992 - Vauxhall Corsa rear brakes - valvebounce

Sounds like you have not connected the handbrake adjusters properly,

They are supposed to self adjust.The threaded piece with the slot in it needs adjusting to the new shoes position,then when you use the footbrake they adjust themselves,and the handbrake should work.

There is a slack cable adjuster on the handbrake cable near your osr wheel,but it wont correct your fault,it is mainly used for adjusting the number of clicks on your handbrake.

The handbrake on that model is reknown for being pretty poor,hill starts can be a nightmare

unless you use what seems to be excessive pressure on the lever.

Vauxhall Corsa 1.4 1992 - Vauxhall Corsa rear brakes - 1litregolfeater

Yes to all the above, the rear brake innards are flimsy and fiddly, and you have to get everything just so before thinking its done.

Handbrake cable could indeed make matters worse if its seen better days and most have.

Parts are cheap on ebay. I had to do my rear passenger side twice, take some time and take photos before disassembly, then make sure all them little fiddly bits are well seated upon reassembly.

Vauxhall Corsa 1.4 1992 - Vauxhall Corsa rear brakes - blindspot

are the drums worn out. have you adjusted the adjuster to move out the shoes. drum should. spin about twice when thrown by hand.

Vauxhall Corsa 1.4 1992 - Vauxhall Corsa rear brakes - gordonbennet

To add to the above good posts, before fitting new brake shoes it pays to slacken the cable right off and make sure its lubricated and free.

In many cases i've intially adjusted up the shoes manually by 'cheating' the adjuster, then driven for some time to bed the brakes fully in.

Ony then do i adjust the handbrake cable to finish the process off, if you are too quick with cable adusting it doesn't allow enough movement of the aduster mechanism, poor as they often are, and you end up with neither a properly adusted foot or parking brake.