Talking of Torque...... - Chad.R
Reading the advert for the Nissan Patrol got me wondering .... it's 3.0 litre direct injection turbo diesel engine produces 156bhp at around 3600rpm and 261 lbft at 2000rpm.
Just as a comparison, VAG's 1.9 litre TDi "PD150" engine produces 150bhp at 4000rpm and 236 lbft at 1950rpm.

Now I accept that both sets of figures don't totally compare but I think you may have guessed where I'm going with this.....

What difference would you notice if the VAG lump was stuck under the Nissan's bonnet? (Apart from loads of empty space in the engine bay)

If the answers' VIRTUALLY NONE, then why do the likes of Toyota, Nissan etc. still keep putting huge diesels with relatively low power/torque in their larger 4X4's when, in theory at least they could fit a much smaller unit with the same output?

Chad.R

Talking of Torque...... - Dan J
Because the VW engine would last approximately 1 to 2 weeks in the Patrol!

Even looking at the figures, I think you'd find the VW engine just wouldn't pull from low down. Also how reliable will that 150bhp VW engine be 200k down the road? It's a hell of an output for a 1.9 let alone a diesel.

It's the reason old Volvo 240/VW Beetle engines will happily take half a million miles if regularly serviced - they're so understressed.
Talking of Torque...... - bazza
I predict the 3 litre lump will last longer as it's less highly stressed than VAGs highly tuned unit. Does the saying "there's no substitute for ccs" still apply these days?

Baz
Talking of Torque...... - No Do$h
It's good old over-engineering at work. The 3l lump will take all kinds of abuse without bending. Also, am I right in thinking that a larger engine will have a higher compression ratio, providing greater engine braking? Handy off-road.
No Dosh - He who dies with the most toys wins.
Talking of Torque...... - Keith S
torque is cheap :)
Talking of Torque...... - J Bonington Jagworth
The answer's in the shape of the torque curve. The Nissan will produce considerably more than the VAG at lower revs.

One of my favourite engines, the 5-litre V8 in the Porsche 928, makes two-thirds of its maximum torque at tick-over! There ain't no substitute for cubes...
Talking of Torque...... - Dave_TD
Yes... I recall reading about some guy who changed the engine in his Corsa 1.4Si for that out of a Cavalier 2.5V6 - apparently it went like the clappers, understeered horribly through corners, but the torque developed by the V6 engine at idle was greater than the torque developed by the original 1.4 engine at its peak!
That sounds fairly mad, although I seem to remember that there was a factory Renault 5 with a 2.7 litre V6 (mid-engined, fortunately).

For maximum looniness, see
venus.13x.com/roadracingworld/scripts/NewsInsert.a...0
which almost matches Custom Car magazine's ultimate aim (some years back) of fitting a "Lancaster bomber engine in a Goggomobil".

I'll go and lie down now...
Talking of Torque...... - Shigg
I remember a review in a car mag of a conversion for 3.5ltr. Range Rovers where the engine was bored out to around 4.0ltr. and a blower fitted that actually boosted power even at tickover (yes I know the differences in turbo and super charging). I seem to think that at tickover it produced somewhere in the region of 250 lbs of torque, even the reviewer seemed amazed. Probably the only more amazing thing would be the fuel consumption!

Steve.
Talking of Torque...... - John S
Shigg

Don't forget power and torque curves are measured with the throttle fully open and the dynamamometer pulling the reves down to the measurement point. So, no risk of monumental acceleration if your foot just slipped of the clutch at (true) idle.

Regards

John S
Talking of Torque...... - Dave_TD
And how far would an 8.3L engine go with a 3.25gal tank?? I've seen a few interesting conversions before, Polo VR6, Ka 2.0 16v Cosworth, that sort of thing, but this takes the biscuit!
"And how far would an 8.3L engine go with a 3.25gal tank?"

Far enough to scare you witless, I should think! Not sure that practicality was on the designer's list, somehow...