renault traffic 1.9dci - renault traffic - allan1970

hi, i have just purchased a secondhand van 3 days ago, i have drove it 2 times, the first time it stopped and wouldnt start, called rac and they said it was an electrical problem, after a few hrs he fixed it, the problem was air intake hadnt been fitted correctly and had chaffed the wires. Day 2 van broke down again, this time all the oil fell on the floor, called rac and they plugged it in, 18 different fault codes came up including glow plugs,egr valve, cam shaft sensor, timing to name a few, garage are saying its not there fault but are willing to go 50/50 on repairs, engine and gearbox need taking out to fix the most severe faults, i dont think this is fair after 2 days of buying it, what are my rights?

renault traffic 1.9dci - renault traffic - allan1970

would really love some advise plz, anyone have any views on my best course of action.

renault traffic 1.9dci - renault traffic - Auristocrat

Sale of Goods Act - see: http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/faq/consumer-rights/

Edited by Auristocrat on 07/01/2013 at 01:06

renault traffic 1.9dci - renault traffic - Canon Fodder

Allan1970 - did you buy this as/through a buisness or as a private consumer?

The latter get much better legal protection from these type of 'not fit for purpose' purchases (as per full HJ details in the link above), traders basically have to sue each other to get recompense (as I undertand it)

Edited by Canon Fodder on 07/01/2013 at 16:57

Renault Trafic 1.9 Dci - Renault Trafic - Autotechnix

I had a customer's Renault Trafic 1.9 throwing up those kinds of spurious fault codes,

The cause was water in the fusebox under the bonnet, most of the engine management sensors run through it in a multi-plug and the water was shorting the circuits and causing all sorts of problems.

It had also been sat on a van sales forecourt for quite a while which probably hadn't helped it.

Renault Trafic 1.9 Dci - Renault Trafic - tony g
Hi,
I'm almost sure that that the sale of goods act doesn't apply in business to business sales .
So even if the seller is a builder or something similar ,and he's buying the van from a garage for use in his business ,then the soga doesn't apply .

As I said I'm only 99% certain ,if anybody can confirm that it would be interesting to know